Manchester United will play their first cup final in three years as they take on Villarreal in the Europa League showdown on Wednesday.
Villarreal suffered a 2-1 defeat against Real Madrid on the final day of the La Liga season. Villarreal had an inconsistent end to the La Liga season where they finished 7th.
Villarreal are unbeaten in the Europa League this term. They have also found the back of the net in 13 of their 14 matches and the only game in which they failed to score was the semi-final second leg against Arsenal which ended 0-0. If they win on Wednesday, it will be the fourth Europa League title for Unai Emery.
Manchester United had a poor end to the Premier League season. They have taken their eye off the ball after securing second spot.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s men have a great opportunity to cap off what has been a season where they have shown marked improvement with a major trophy.
Their dominant performance against AS Roma in the first-leg of the Europa League semi-final, which they won 6-2, makes them the favorites to win the final.
Villarreal vs Man United Predictions:
- Villarreal are undefeated in their last 14 matches (Europa League).
- Villarreal have won 9 of their last 10 matches (Europa League).
- Villarreal have seen under 2.5 goals in 4 of their last 6 matches (Europa League).
- Man United have drawn 0-0 in 4 matches against Villarreal (Champions League).
- Man United have won three of their last four meetings with Spanish opposition.
- Man United are undefeated in 13 of their last 15 matches (Europa League).
- Man United have won 4 of their last 5 matches (Europa League).
- Man United have conceded in each of their last seven matches.
- Man United have seen under 2.5 goals in 5 of their last 7 matches (Europa League).
Villarreal and Manchester United have clashed four times till date. All four meetings have been in the Champions League and interestingly, all of those matches have ended as goalless draws.
Man United have met Villarreal four times, all in the UEFA Champions League group stage.
All four meetings ended in 0-0 draws.
The two sides played out their first two 0-0 draws in the 2005-06 Champions League season – where Villarreal reached the semi-finals – before shaking hands on two more goalless stalemates in the 2008-09 campaign.
If Harry Maguire can’t make a return, Manchester United will be weak at the back.
United have never faced a single opponent without scoring more times than they have done against Villarreal, with Wayne Rooney seeing red in the first meeting between the two sides in September 2005.
Manchester United’s attacking unit, which comprises Bruno Fernandes, Edinson Cavani, Paul Pogba and Marcus Rashford, can prove to be a handful for any team in Europe.
Villarreal haven’t lost in the Europa League this season and can take this to extra time.
We expect the Red Devils to secure their first trophy under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer on Wednesday.
Our prediction: Man United win @ 1.87