Sevilla take on Borussia Dortmund in the first leg of their Champions League last-16 knockout tie at Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan Stadium on Wednesday evening.
The two clubs have not met since the group stage of the Europa League in the 2009-10 season, with both still looking to establish themselves at Europe’s top table. The two teams have experienced eventful European campaigns so far and will want to win this game.
Sevilla have enjoyed an excellent La Liga campaign so far and find themselves in the top four in the league table after a series of impeccable results.
Last season’s Europa League champions Sevilla have been doing well in the domestic league as well and along with FC Barcelona, they are currently the most in-form team in the division.
Sevilla have been in superb form of late, winning their last nine matches in all competitions and only conceding one goal during that entire timeframe.
Dortmund, in contrast, have won just one of their last six Bundesliga matches, which has not only derailed their title challenge but has also made them mere outsiders in the race for the top four spots.
- Sevilla and Borussia Dortmund’s only previous meeting in European competition came in the 2010-11 Europa League group stages, the Spanish side winning 1-0 at home and drawing 2-2 in Germany.
- Dortmund have lost their past six away games in the knockout stages of the Champions League, conceding 14 goals and scoring only two.
- Erling Haaland is the joint-leading scorer in this Champions League but has the best minutes-per-goal ratio of any player on three or more strikes.
- This is Borussia Dortmund’s 15th season of Champions League football. They were winners in 1996/97, runners-up in 2012/13 and have reached the knockout rounds in seven of their last eight campaigns.
- Sevilla have reached the knockout stages for the fifth time in six Champions League campaigns but have only made it past the last 16 on one occasion, in 2017-18.
- Ivan Rakitic won the 2010/11 DFB Cup with Schalke.
- Borussia Dortmund have won none of their last ten away games against Spanish opposition in the Champions League.
Sevilla have a good record against Borussia Dortmund and have won one out of two official fixtures played between the two teams. Borussia Dortmund have never defeated Sevilla and will have to step up to the plate this week.
The two teams met in the UEFA Europa League in a two-legged affair over a decade ago. Sevilla got the better of Jurgen Klopp’s Borussia Dortmund in 2010 and will want to achieve a similar result this month.
Sevilla have an excellent squad and will have to name their best side this week.
Borussia Dortmund have a host of excellent young players at their disposal but are yet to justify their potential this season. The German giants have suffered from several defensive lapses in the past few months and have plenty of work to do ahead of this game.
Sevilla are in excellent form, with nine consecutive wins going into this game – only beaten by Atletico Madrid and Real Madrid since their 4-0 defeat to Chelsea in the Champions League group stage that confirmed them as runners-up.
Our Prediction: Sevilla @ 2.41
Source: BetInAsia Black