Two of the most successful teams in the history of the European Cup will lock horns in the Spanish capital on Tuesday night as Real Madrid welcome Liverpool for the first leg of their Champions League quarter-final.
The two teams have been ravaged by injuries this season and will need to make a statement in this game.
Madrid, who are 13-time winners of the competition, will be looking to secure an advantage at the Alfredo Di Stefano Stadium ahead of the reverse fixture at Anfield on April 14.
Real Madrid extended their unbeaten run to 11 games with a 2-0 victory over Eibar in La Liga on Saturday.
Liverpool look to have put their early 2021 struggles behind them with the Reds winning three in a row either side of the international break.
Real Madrid vs Liverpool prediction:
- Real Madrid are undefeated in their last 11 matches (all competitions).
- Real Madrid are undefeated in 6 of their last 7 matches (UEFA Champions League).
- Real Madrid have seen under 2.5 goals in 4 of their last 5 matches (UEFA Champions League).
- Liverpool are undefeated in 7 of their last 8 matches (UEFA Champions League).
- Liverpool are undefeated in their last 5 away matches (UEFA Champions League).
- Liverpool have seen under 2.5 goals in 11 of their last 12 matches (UEFA Champions League).
- Liverpool have seen under 2.5 goals in 7 of their last 8 matches (all competitions).
Real Madrid and Liverpool are on an even footing as far as the historical head-to-head record is concerned and have won three games apiece out of a total of six matches played between the two teams. Real Madrid have been the better team in recent years, however, and have maintained a perfect record in the last three encounters between the two sides.
Real Madrid have won the last three matches against Liverpool, including most recently in the 2018 UEFA Champions League Final.
The previous meeting between the two teams took place in the UEFA Champions League final in 2018 and ended in a 3-1 victory for Real Madrid.
Madrid are comfortably the most successful team in the history of the European Cup, winning the competition on 13 occasions, including four times in the last seven years, but they have been knocked out in the round of 16 in each of the last two years.
Liverpool have actually won 15 of their last 23 European fixtures but have only been victorious in two of their last 12 matches against Spanish opposition, suffering eight defeats in the process.
Liverpool’s form has improved, and the Reds appear to be heading in the right direction once again. Madrid have also been finding their groove, though, and we are not comfortable backing the home side to lose. It should be a very interesting game in the Spanish capital, and we have ultimately settled on a draw.
Real Madrid have dominated the UEFA Champions League in the past few years and are known to step up to the plate in knock-out fixtures.
Our Prediction: Draw @ 3.54