Wednesday’s WC Qualifiers – Europe fixture list features Portugal versus Ireland.
Portugal are back to action for the first time after being dethroned as European champions and they’ll be hosting Republic of Ireland as the World Cup qualifiers resume.
While Ireland are still in search of their first point(s), Portugal are joint top of Group A with Serbia and will be looking to pull clear.
Portugal will be looking for an improved result here after the 1-0 Euro 2020 defeat in their last game at the hands of Belgium.
On the other side, Ireland drew 0-0 in the International Friendlies match with Hungary.
Portugal vs Republic of Ireland predictions:
- Portugal have eight straight wins in World Cup qualification matches at home.
- Portugal have one loss in 18 home matches.
- Ireland have one win in their last 14 matches.
- Ireland have failed to score in seven of their last 10 matches.
- Ireland have no win in their last four World Cup qualification matches.
- They managed just two wins in the last 19.
Portugal never lost to Republic of Ireland in their past one meeting.
In their last 12 World Cup qualification matches, Portugal haven’t lost, and have just one loss in 22.
The visitors haven’t scored in seven of their last 10 matches and have just one clean sheet in the last five matches.
Ireland’s last meeting with Portugal was in 2014, a friendly match they lost 5-1.
Ireland have been really poor in their recent matches and will not be expected to cause any upsets in Portugal. While Portugal are winless in their last three matches, it has been against very strong opponents. On the other hand, Ireland’s only win in the last 14 matches was against Andorra.
Our prediction: Portugal win @ 1.25