Manchester City visit Newcastle United at St. James’ Park on Friday as the Premier League champions play for the first time since securing the title.
Manchester City could already be confirmed as the 2020/21 Premier League champions by the time they kick-off at St. James’ Park on Friday evening if rivals United drop points in midweek, though the Citizens can confirm their position as top dogs with a win against Newcastle.
With the League Cup and league titles in the bag, the Sky Blues are looking to seal the Champions League in three weeks’ time. But they will hope to build momentum with a strong finish to their triumphant season on the league front.
Newcastle United have already confirmed their safety. They beat Leicester City 4-2 on the road in their last game, a testament to the damage they can cause if a side lets their guard down.
The win followed a 1-1 away draw at Liverpool and a 2-0 home loss against Arsenal. Newcastle have won once in their last five home matches, a 3-2 victory against West Ham.
Solid form has seen Newcastle climb to 16th in the Premier League.
Newcastle United vs Manchester City predictions:
- Both teams have scored in eight of Newcastle’s last nine Premier League home games.
- Man City have won each of their last 11 Premier League away matches.
- Man City have won each of their last three meeting with Newcastle in league and cup.
- Man City have kept just three clean sheets in their last ten Premier League fixtures.
- Man City have won 8 of their last 11 matches against Newcastle (all competitions).
- Man City have scored 2+ goals in 6 of their last 7 matches against Newcastle (all competitions).
- Man City have won 19 of their last 20 away matches (all competitions).
- Man City have won to nil in 6 of their last 9 away matches (Premier League).
- Pep Guardiola has led a team to the title in nine of his 12 top-flight seasons as a manager.
- Manchester City could lose successive Premier League matches for only the third time under Pep Guardiola, and first since December 2018.
- Newcastle have earned 10 points from their past five league matches, as many as they managed in their previous 15.
- Newcastle have conceded 2+ goals in 7 of their last 9 home matches (Premier League).
- Their only win in their last 20 Premier League matches against teams starting the day top of the table came against Chelsea in December 2014.
In the 183 clashes between the sides, you may be surprised to learn that Newcastle United have won more times with 72 victories. That narrowly trumps Manchester City’s 71 wins in the fixture.
But most of those triumphs came decades ago, with the Sky Blues now the dominant force.
City have won the last three matches between the sides, including a 2-0 win in the reverse fixture this season.
Newcastle United’s only victory in the past 26 Premier League meetings was by 2-1 at home in January 2019.
The Magpies have managed just 41 shots in their seven league matches against Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City.
City have only won one of their four most recent away league games against the Magpies despite taking the lead in all three games they failed to win.
With the Premier League already sewn up, Manchester City will have their sights on their upcoming Champions League final. Guardiola will likely rotate his squad to keep his key players fresh ahead of the 29 May showpiece.
Newcastle have a chance to take advantage of this and will hope to get some points off the champions. However, Man City have enough quality on their roster to seal all three points.
Man City are in excellent form and have won a lot of away matches by 2+ goals in the Premier League. With several key players out, including top scorer Callum Wilson, Newcastle will struggle to score.
Our prediction: Man City win @ 1.28