Manchester United will be looking to make it five Premier League wins in a row when they welcome Southampton to Old Trafford on Monday night. The Red Devils have been in excellent form since the league’s restart last month and currently sit fifth in the table, while Southampton occupy 12th, having also impressed since returning to the field.
Last time out Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side made light work of Aston Villa when cruising to a 3-0 victory at Villa Park – a fixture that saw both of my recommended bets land.
Standing in Man United’s way of a fifth successive home win in the Premier League is a Southampton side who have shown admirable powers of recovery this season under the stewardship of Ralph Hasenhuttl.
Manchester United have won seven of their last nine Premier League matches and the hosts are heavily fancied on Monday night where they are at a best 1/3 with Boylesports.
Southampton have failed to topple Man United in their last eight attempts and the bookies expect that sequence to be extended with an away win trading at a whopping 10/1 with BetVictor while the draw is also deemed unlikely at 5/1 with UniBet.
Reason for Manchester United vs. Southampton predictions:
- Manchester United have scored at least three goals in eight of their last 12 competitive appearances.
- Manchester United have won 3-0 on five occasions in this 12-game run.
- Southampton have conceded three or more in three of their last six away games.
- Mason Greenwood has scored four goals in his last three appearances for The Red Devils.
- United have won 26 of the previous 41 Premier League meetings between these two sides, with Southampton claiming seven victories to go along with eight draws.
Southampton, who will take on Brighton & Hove Albion, Bournemouth and Sheffield United in their final three matches, have finished 17th and 16th in their last two Premier League seasons.
United will be the favourites to continue their excellent form, but the Saints actually have the fifth-best away record in the Premier League this term, picking up 27 points from their 17 matches, with only Liverpool, Chelsea and Man City gathering more points on their travels during the 2019-20 campaign.
Three of the last four Premier League matches between these two sides have finished level, but United won their last meeting at Old Trafford last March, recording a 3-2 victory.
Manchester United FC -1.0 (Asian) @ 1.434