Manchester City could move to the top of the Premier League table for the first time since August 2019 when they welcome Aston Villa to the Etihad Stadium on Wednesday evening.
Pep Guardiola’s side have reinstated themselves as title favourites in the eyes of many with the best winning run any team has managed in the Premier League this season and they will be looking to keep that going against a Villa side that has not been in top-flight action for almost three weeks.
The Cityzens are on an eight-game winning streak across all competitions and are just two points behind leaders Manchester United in the league table.
Aston Villa are 10th in the standings with 26 points and are winless in their last two outings.
Reason for Manchester City vs Aston Villa predictions:
- Man City have kept eight clean sheets in their last 10 home games in all competitions.
- Man City have won each of their last eight matches in all competitions.
- Aston Villa have dropped points in seven of their last 12 league assignments.
- Aston Villa have won five of their eight away games in the Premier League this season.
- Man City have won seven and drawn two of their last nine Premier League fixtures.
- Manchester City have scored at least 3 goals in 9 of their last 10 home matches against Aston Villa in all competitions.
- The combined scorecard for the past ten meetings at this venue is 35-10, in favor of the home team.
The two clubs have crossed paths 173 times across all competitions. As expected, the hosts have had the upper hand in the fixture, recording wins on 75 occasions.
The Lions have 57 wins to their name while 41 games have ended in draws. Villa are winless against City since 2013, with the hosts recording a massive 9-1 win on aggregate in their meetings in the 2019-20 season.
They last clashed in the League Cup final in March last year, in which the host went on to win their third successive League Cup title and fifth in the past seven seasons.
The hosts are the most in-form team in the Premier League at the moment. Despite their early defensive struggles, they now have the best defensive record in the league, having conceded just 13 goals.
The fact that Man City have conceded the fewest Premier League home goals this season, while Aston Villa have shipped the fewest on the road so far this term suggests that this one might not be a goal-fest.
Villa have also scored in all of their away games this season while Man City’s four-goal showing against Crystal Palace suggests that they are beginning to rediscover their clinical edge in front of goal.
However, given the kind of form the host are in currently, taking even a point from the game might prove to be an uphill task for the visitors.
We predict a win for the hosts, who will be looking to keep the pressure on Manchester United at the top of the table.
Our Prediction: Man City @ 1.29
Source: BetInAsia Black