Liverpool will renew their search for a first Premier League win since before Christmas when they welcome Burnley to Anfield on Thursday evening.
Reigning English Premier League champions Liverpool host struggling Burnley on Thursday evening.
Liverpool are in fourth place and desperately need a win to keep up with the title contenders. Burnley, meanwhile, are just one spot above the drop zone.
Without a win in their last four league outings, Liverpool have seen their charge towards retaining their title stall in recent weeks, while Burnley, with just four wins from their first 17 games of the season, are only just the right side of the dotted line in their relegation battle.
Both sides need a victory in this clash for very different reasons, but the hosts should have the firepower to earn three points.
Reason for Liverpool vs Burnley predictions:
- Burnley have failed to score in six of their last seven away league games.
- Liverpool have won nine of 12 Premier League encounters with Burnley.
- Liverpool have 34 points after 18 league matches.
- Burnley have won only one of their last 26 away matches at Anfield in all competitions.
- Only City have a better home defensive record than the Reds in the top-flight this term.
- The Reds are unbeaten in 68 Premier League home matches, winning 55 and drawing 13.
- A 1-0 defeat has landed in more of Burnley’s Premier League games than any other score (28).
- Burnley have the worst goalscoring record in the Premier League, with only nine goals after 17 fixtures.
Liverpool are yet to win a Premier League match in 2021, as they’ve drawn with West Brom, Newcastle and Manchester United while losing to Southampton.
More worryingly for Jurgen Klopp’s men, they’ve failed to find the back of the net in their last three matches, scoring just once in 2021.
Liverpool have still proven to be a tough nut to crack this season. Despite dropping far more points than they did in 2019-20, they’ve still only lost two games.
Burnley, meanwhile, have struggled this season. Sean Dyche’s men have won just four of their opening 17 fixtures.
The Clarets have only scored nine goals all season. This is by far the fewest goals scored in the Premier League, lagging even behind bottom side Sheffield United.
This fixture hardly provides them with hope. Burnley have failed to beat Liverpool in their last six games against the Reds. However, they did secure a point against Liverpool after they had been crowned champions with a 1-1 draw in July 2020.
Burnley’s 2-0 victory at Turf Moor in 2016 is their only win against Liverpool in 12 Premier League matches.
After their struggles in the early part of 2021, this looks like a good game for Liverpool to find some form in. Burnley have been awful in front of goal all season and are unlikely to breach Liverpool’s defence.
Burnley have taken just five points from a possible 36 in Premier League games against Liverpool (W1 D2 L9) and the visitors have four points from nine meetings with top-half sides.
Liverpool haven’t lost at Anfield in years and that is unlikely to change on Thursday. We expect Liverpool to get back to winning ways against Burnley.
Our Prediction: Liverpool @ 1.22
Source: BetInAsia Black