Coventry City vs Birmingham City: prediction, preview, team news and more
Two teams on a bit of a lull in Coventry City and Birmingham City go head-to-head in this Friday night clash. Both teams have been in poor form as they go into the strange scenario of both playing at their home ground in the same league game.
Coventry are just a point from the relegation zone, having been defeated in seven of their 11 games. They have lost four of their last five games coming into this clash, starting with defeats to Blackburn and Middlesbrough.
Birmingham have had a mixed bag of results of late, winning two and losing two of their last four Championship matches.
Birmingham have let their stern defensive guard slip in the last few matches before the international break and currently sit 17th in the table.
They will hope to claim a win over the Sky Blues to increase that six-point gap from the bottom three.
Reason for Coventry City vs Birmingham City Predictions:
- Coventry have no home support here and play at Birmingham’s home ground.
- Coventry have lost four of their last five games.
- Coventry have 1 win in their last 4 home matches (Championship).
- Coventry have seen BTTS in 4 of their 5 home matches (Championship).
- The Sky Blues have been beaten in seven of their last 11 games.
- Birmingham have seen BTTS in each of their last 4 matches (Championship).
- Birmingham have lost their last 2 matches (Championship).
- Birmingham have drawn 3 of their 5 away matches (Championship).
These two meet in the league for the first time since 2012, when Coventry were in the second tier. Coventry City beat the Blues in the League Cup later that year but they have failed to claim a win over their counterparts in a league game since 2009.
The Sky Blues lost on penalties the last time they encountered Birmingham, going out following a 2-2 draw in normal time during an FA Cup replay.
Birmingham have the upper hand in this fixture with 24 wins to Coventry’s 17. There have been 16 draws between the two clubs since their first meeting in 1919.
This will definitely be a tight one with both teams having a lot to lose going into the match.
The hosts have shown they can turn over a result when they perform well as a unit, although that hasn’t happened too often recently.
They have got a number of key personnel back but not everyone will be match-ready and Birmingham may capitalize on this. We expect this encounter to end in a draw.
Our Prediction: 1-1 Draw