Chelsea and Arsenal, two of the biggest foes in London in the modern football era, meet in Premier League action at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday.
Chelsea have been a team transformed under the tutelage of Thomas Tuchel, having become the most solid team in Europe while also gradually starting to show quality in terms of their attacking ideas.
The Blues, under Thomas Tuchel, need just four points from their last three games to secure a top-four finish. They are in two cup finals, with adjectives not enough to describe their rise.
Chelsea recorded their third consecutive win in all competitions with a 2-1 away victory against Man City in the Premier League on Saturday.
It was Chelsea’s third consecutive Premier League win following a 2-0 home win against Fulham and a 1-0 away victory at West Ham. Good domestic form has given the Blues a six-point cushion in the top four.
Thomas Tuchel’s side are unbeaten in seven matches in all competitions.
Arsenal, on the other hand, continue to be mired in mediocrity, with the 2020/21 season set to end in trophyless fashion for them.
Arsenal, who were projected to claim a European spot, will have to win the better part of their remaining games and hope for other results to go their way. Arteta has come under-fire for the club’s exit from the Europa League semi-finals, while consistency is something the Gunners have failed to achieve.
Arsenal have been in patchy form. Dropped points in a 1-0 defeat to Everton and a 1-1 draw with Fulham leaves them six points of the Europa League places with three matches remaining.
Arsenal beat lowly West Brom 3-1 at the Emirates on Sunday, extending their unbeaten run to three matches in all competitions.
Chelsea vs Arsenal Predictions:
- Chelsea have won 11 of their last 16 matches (all competitions).
- Chelsea have won 2-0 in their last 2 home matches (all competitions).
- Chelsea have won to nil in 3 of their last 5 matches (all competitions).
- Chelsea have kept 10 clean sheets in their last 12 home matches (all competitions).
- Chelsea have won 6 of their last 9 home matches against Arsenal (all competitions).
- Chelsea have gone 12 away games without defeat for the first time since a run of 15 in 2014.
- Chelsea have kept 18 league clean sheets this season.
- Arsenal have failed to win in their last 9 away matches against Chelsea (all competitions).
- Arsenal are unbeaten in their last five away league games.
- Arsenal could keep three consecutive league away clean sheets for the first time since April to May 2013.
Chelsea and Arsenal’s rivalry dates way back to the early 1900s, with the Gunners currently proving a more successful unit based on their head-to-head record. They have won 79 of the 202 matches between the pair.
Chelsea have bagged 65 victories. More trophies over the last decade or so imply that the Blues have held bragging rights over their neighbors in the North. Chelsea are unbeaten in their last eight games against Arsenal at Stamford Bridge.
Arsenal won the reverse fixture 3-1 and could complete the league double over Chelsea for the first time since 2003-04.
Arsenal have a 79-65 advantage against Chelsea with 58 matches drawn.
Arteta will be 39 years and 47 days old on Wednesday – should Arsenal win, he will be the youngest manager to complete a top-flight double over Chelsea since Trevor Francis in 1991-92.
Chelsea have won more points in Premier League London derby games this season than any other side.
The sheer mass of the London derby will add pressure on the Chelsea players despite their promising run of form.
Arsenal might be in a positive moment after beating West Bromwich Albion.
Chelsea, on the other hand, were at their resilient best when beating Manchester City and are in their best moment this season.
Chelsea are in top form and have been resolute at Stamford Bridge.
Our prediction: Chelsea win @ 1.77