Bournemouth and Brentford square off in the first leg of their Championship playoff semi-final at the Vitality Stadium on Monday evening.
Having been relegated from the Premier League last year, the Cherries are eager to get back into the top-flight, although their recent form hasn’t inspired much hope.
While the home side ended the regular season with three successive defeats, the visitors are unbeaten in 12 matches in the second tier.
The biggest plus for Brentford ahead of this contest is their return to form in the final third with five strikes coming against Watford and Bristol City.
Bournemouth won six straight matches in April. The looked imperious in that run which included a 3-1 win at Norwich.
Bournemouth vs Brentford Predictions:
- Bournemouth have lost their last 3 matches (Championship).
- Bournemouth have failed to score in their last 3 matches (Championship).
- Bournemouth lost both of their Championship matches against Brentford this season, with the Bees one of only two teams to complete the league double over the Cherries in 2020/21, along with relegated Sheffield Wednesday.
- Bournemouth are only the fifth team since the introduction of the Football League play-offs to go into the playoffs having lost their last three league matches of the season, and the first-ever in the second tier.
- Brentford have won their last 3 matches against Bournemouth (Championship).
- Brentford have won their last 4 matches (Championship).
- Brentford have kept 7 clean sheets in their last 8 matches (Championship).
- Brentford are featuring in their 10th attempt at the Football League play-offs, and second in as many seasons in the Championship, with only Preston featuring in as many campaigns.
There have been 112 games between the sides, with Brentford winning on more occasions with 43, though Bournemouth aren’t far behind with 38 victories.
Brentford have a 43-38 advantage against Bournemouth with 31 draws in 112 matches.
Brentford have won the last three encounters including 2-1 at home and 1-0 in Bournemouth this season. In both their league clashes this season, though, the Bees won home and away.
Given the contrasting form of both sides, Brentford are the obvious favorites here.
The Cherries will hope to improve their performance in a game where the stakes are high, but the Bees have enough in their tank to secure a vital away win.
Our prediction: Brentford win @ 2.78