Wolverhampton Wanderers and Chelsea will both be looking to bounce back from dampening defeats in the Premier League when the two sides go head to head at Molineux on Tuesday evening.
Wolves host Chelsea in the Premier League today as both sides look to bounce back from losses in the top flight.
Wolves fell to an injury-time penalty against Aston Villa in their last outing. It was a second consecutive defeat for Nuno Espirito Santo’s team, who were thrashed 4-0 by champions Liverpool before their meeting with Villa.
Chelsea, like Wolves, were beaten 1-0 last time out, and – similarly – a penalty was the difference in that fixture against Everton. That result saw Frank Lampard’s side slip to fifth in the table, while Wolves enter the game in 13th.
Reason for Wolves vs Chelsea predictions:
- Wolves have seen fewer than three goals in each of their last five Premier League home games.
- Fewer than three goals have been scored in three of Chelsea’s last four league matches.
- Two of Wolves’s last four home games have ended 1-1.
- Wolves could lose three successive Premier League games for the first time since November 2018.
- They have won just once in five league fixtures, drawing one and losing three.
- Chelsea’s defeat against Everton last weekend ended an unbeaten run of 17 matches in all competitions. It was their first away league loss of the season.
- The Blues have lost just one of their last 20 Premier League games played on a Tuesday (W12, D7), a 4-1 defeat at Liverpool in May 2012.
Wolves have lost nine Premier League games against Chelsea, their worst tally versus any side other than Liverpool (10). The 32 goals Wolves have conceded in this fixture is their worst return against any top-flight team.
Chelsea have only failed to score in one of the last 17 top-flight meetings, a 1-0 loss at Molineux in January 2011.
Wolves have won six of their eight home midweek games since returning to the Premier League in 2018, including a 2-1 victory against Chelsea in December 2018.
Chelsea could lose back-to-back Premier League matches for the first time in a year. The two defeats in December 2019 started with a loss at Goodison Park.
Both sides could only be undone by penalties in their last outings, and Wolves should make this a much closer affair compared to last season’s thrashing in front of their own fans. However, Lampard’s side can hurt almost any team going forward – even without any natural wingers in the side – and we expect the Blues to come out on top against the Wolves team this week.
Our Prediction: Chelsea @ 1.72
Source: BetInAsia Black