Liverpool host Tottenham Hotspur in the Premier League on Wednesday night.
Tottenham can show they are serious Premier League title contenders when they travel to reigning champions Liverpool on Wednesday.
Both teams were held to draws on Sunday, against Crystal Palace and Fulham respectively, keeping Spurs ahead of the Reds at the top of the table on goal difference.
The two sides are separated by only goal difference heading into the contest, but both will be looking to bounce back from underwhelming 1-1 draws at the weekend.
Comfortable victories over Leicester City and Wolverhampton Wanderers in their last two league games at Anfield mean that they have now won 31 of their last 32 such outings, taking a staggering 94 points from the 96 on offer in that time, and scoring 93 goals too.
The unbeaten run now stretches back to 65 games.
It took the Reds until the 35th game last season to drop their 11th point, going on to drop just 15 all term, while at the same stage of 2019-20 they were nine points better off and already eight points clear at the top of the table.
Reason for Liverpool vs Tottenham predictions:
- Liverpool have beaten Spurs in four of the teams’ last five meetings at Anfield.
- Liverpool have won six out of six Premier League home games this term.
- Liverpool have kept just two clean sheets in their last 10 Premier League fixtures.
- Liverpool have scored exactly two goals in each of their last five encounters with Spurs at Anfield.
- Liverpool have dropped 11 points in the Premier League this season, just four fewer than in the entirety of 2019-20. It took them 35 matches to drop 11 points last season.
- They have lost four league fixtures in 2020, the same amount as in 2018 and 2019 combined.
- They are unbeaten in 65 Premier League home matches since a 2-1 defeat against Crystal Palace in April 2017 (W54, D11).
- Liverpool have won 10 successive Premier League home fixtures against established top-six teams.
- Tottenham have won seven league games and drawn four since losing their opening match of the season against Everton.
- They are unbeaten in all six Premier League away fixtures this season, winning four and drawing two.
- Son (10) and Kane (9) have scored 19 of Tottenham’s 24 Premier League goals this season.
Liverpool have been successful with their last 18 Premier League penalties, the most successful sequence since Sunderland scored 23 consecutive spot-kicks between March 2012 and January 2017.
Tottenham have claimed 70 points under Jose Mourinho – only Manchester City (75) and Liverpool (90) have better records since he joined Spurs.
Liverpool have dominated this fixture in recent years, winning each of the last five meetings across all competitions – a run which includes back-to-back Premier League doubles and a Champions League final triumph last year.
Liverpool have never won seven consecutive games against Spurs, while the last time Tottenham lost that many games in a row to a specific opponent was against Manchester United from September 2001 to September 2004.
In the Premier League alone Liverpool have only lost of their last 15 meetings with Tottenham and just one of their last 26 at Anfield.
Spurs have been excellent so far this season but this midweek trip to Anfield promises to be their toughest yet. Even with injury troubles the Reds still present a stern challenge to anyone, especially at home where they don’t lose to anyone, almost literally. That said Tottenham should present an injury-hit backline some problems with the best front two in the country in fine form.
It would not be too much of a surprise to therefore see Spurs end Liverpool’s long home unbeaten run here. Klopp’s side seem to get the job done time after time on home territory, so we are predicting a draw here.
Our Prediction: Draw @ 3.94
Source: BetInAsia Black