West Ham vs Chelsea: Can Lingard keep scoring in the London derby?
Fifth-placed West Ham United take on fourth-placed Chelsea in Premier League action at the London Stadium on Saturday and there is much more than just capital bragging rights on the line in this London derby.
Both sides are level on points in the league standings and will aim to grab the all-important three points as a place in the top four is at stake.
West Ham are currently fifth in the Premier League, level on points with Chelsea who are fourth. The Hammers have been involved in some high scoring thrillers in recent weeks.
Chelsea are fighting on three fronts under Thomas Tuchel. They got past Porto in the UEFA Champions League quarter-finals, winning 2-0 in the first leg losing 1-0 in the second leg.
West Ham United’s chase for a top-four finish was halted last week when they fell to a disappointing defeat to struggling Newcastle United.
Chelsea will aim to bounce back to winning ways at the London Stadium as they could grab a three-point cushion in the top four places.
West Ham vs Chelsea predictions:
- West Ham are undefeated in 16 of their last 18 home matches (all competitions).
- West Ham have won 7 of their last 9 home matches (all competitions).
- West Ham have seen BTTS & over 4.5 goals in their last 4 matches (Premier League).
- West Ham’s Jesse Lingard has scored 6 goals in his last 5 matches (Premier League).
- West Ham are undefeated in 5 of their last 6 home matches against Chelsea (all competitions).
- The Hammers have the division’s second best home record this season, with 31 points. They need one home win to reach 10 in the top flight for the first time since 2001-02.
- West Ham have lost just one of their last ten Premier League home matches.
- Chelsea are undefeated in their last 9 away matches (all competitions).
- Chelsea have drawn 2 of their last 4 away matches (Premier League).
- Chelsea have kept a clean sheet in 15 of their 20 matches in all competitions under Tuchel.
This is the 100th top-flight meeting. West Ham are vying to win successive home league games against Chelsea for the first time in 18 years.
Chelsea have a 51-42 advantage against West Ham with 22 draws in 115 matches.
Chelsea have a slight upper hand in the history of this fixture, picking up 51 wins in their 115 previous meetings. West Ham United have won 42 games, while the fixture has ended in draws 22 times.
Their most recent encounter came in December’s reverse fixture, when Chelsea claimed a resounding 3-0 win.
West Ham have been hit with injuries and suspensions at the worst time possible, but this should still be a fascinating battle between one of the best home teams in the league and Tuchel’s away-day specialists.
The Blues have only managed to win one of their last four league games as FA Cup and Champions League fatigue catches up to them, and with West Ham boasting a respectable home record against their London rivals, we expect this clash to finish all square in a result that will not do much good for either’s side’s top-four hopes.
Our prediction: Draw @ 3.94