Following respective victories on the opening day of the 2021-22 Premier League season, Champions League hopefuls West Ham United and Leicester City prepare for battle at the London Stadium on Monday night.
West Ham United and Leicester City will both be looking to build on their opening day wins as they clash at the London Stadium on Monday night.
West Ham came back twice to beat Newcastle 4-2 on Sunday. They had 16 shots and 3.01 expected goals.
David Moyes seems to have Brendan Rodgers’ number. At least that’s what we’ve figured from the last few meetings between the two Premier League managers. The Hammers beat Leicester City in both their league meetings last season.
If their win against Newcastle United last weekend is anything to go by, Moyes’ team are on course to mastering that art.
The Foxes beat Wolves 1-0 as Jamie Vardy found the net with an exquisite finish off a delightful Ricardo Pereira cross.
The Foxes have been in poor form away. They are winless in their last four on the road.
Leicester City have missed out on Champions League qualification by fine margins in the past two seasons.
West Ham vs Leicester Predictions:
- West Ham have won their last 5 matches (all competitions).
- West Ham have seen over 2.5 goals in their last 5 matches against Leicester (Premier League).
- West Ham have lost their first home league match of the season in each of the last three campaigns, scoring once and conceding nine times in these matches.
- Leicester have lost 3 of their last 5 away matches (Premier League).
- Leicester have kept a clean sheet in just 11% of their Premier League games against West Ham.
- Leicester have seen over 2.5 goals in 7 of their last 9 matches (Premier League).
- Leicester City only won their opening away Premier League match in four of their previous 15 seasons in the division, with two of those victories coming over West Ham in 2000/01 and 2015/16.
The Hammers are looking to record three consecutive Premier League wins over the Foxes for the first time since winning their first four in the competition against them between November 1994 and April 1997.
West Ham have a 54-49 advantage against Leicester in 136 meetings with 33 draws. The Hammers beat Leicester 3-2 in the last fixture between the sides.
In the last 10 meetings between West Ham United and Leicester City, the former have won thrice. The Foxes have won four matches and three matches have ended as draws.
The last time the two sides met was in the Premier League in April when the Hammers won the game 3-2.
Both teams looked pretty good on the opening weekend. The Hammers got the better of the Foxes twice last season. Leicester City will be looking to turn that around but the Hammers could be difficult to contain, especially on the counter. This should be an exciting and entertaining encounter.
Our prediction: West Ham United win @ 2.61