Tottenham Hotspur host Royal Antwerp FC in the last UEFA Europa League Group J clash, which will decide who tops the group.
Tottenham are currently two points behind Antwerp, and need a win in this game to finish top of the group, while a draw would be enough for the Belgian side.
For Antwerp, the weekend wasn’t as smooth as it was for Spurs. They lost 4-2 at Belgian Pro League leaders Genk, as they remained fourth in the league.
Tottenham currently sit top of the Premier League table after 11 matches and have already booked their place in the knockout stages of the Europa League. Jose Mourinho’s team have also won 7 of their last 8 home matches coming into this match on Thursday.
Royal Antwerp are in decent form heading into this match and are top of this Europa League group. The Belgian outfit have dropped off away from home slightly in recent weeks though, winning just one of their last four matches.
Tottenham vs Royal Antwerp Stats:
- Tottenham have won 7 of their last 8 home matches (all competitions).
- Tottenham have won by 3 or more goals in all 3 of their home matches (UEFA Europa League).
- Tottenham’s Lucas Moura has scored in all 3 of their home matches (UEFA Europa League).
- Tottenham have won 6 of their last 8 matches (UEFA Europa League).
- Including qualifiers, Jose Mourinho has won 14 of his last 16 home matches in the UEFA Cup/Europa League (D1 L1).
- Royal Antwerp’s last away European match in England was back in September 1994, when they lost 5-2 to Newcastle United in the UEFA Cup.
- Royal Antwerp have 2 defeats in their last 4 away matches (all competitions).
- Royal Antwerp have kept 1 clean sheet in 4 away matches (UEFA Europa League).
- Royal Antwerp are looking to become the first Belgian side to win three consecutive away games in a major UEFA European competition since Anderlecht in 2011.
In the reverse fixture in Belgium, the only previous game between these two teams, a goal from Lior Refaelov gave Antwerp a 1-0 win over Tottenham Hotspur.
Spurs’ performance in that encounter enraged Jose Mourinho, but the team has improved in leaps and bounds since then.
Tottenham are certainly the stronger team on paper, though Antwerp upset the apple cart the last time they faced each other. Jose Mourinho won’t have his guard down after that previous result.
Antwerp have been excellent in the Europa League this season, but we are predicting that Mourinho’s side will have enough in them to get past the Belgian team in this game.
Our Prediction: Tottenham @ 1.34
Source: BetInAsia Black