A significant weekend of Premier League action is headlined on Sunday by the North London derby as Tottenham Hotspur host bitter rivals Arsenal.
Jose Mourinho’s men are flying high at the top of the league going into the weekend with six wins and just one loss from 10 games, while their local rivals are struggling down in 14th place.
Spurs fans could not have picked a better game than the North London derby for which to make their return to the magnificent Tottenham Hotspur Stadium – not only due to the magnitude of the match, but also due to the contrasting form of both sides.
In their last two league games, Jose Mourinho’s side have beaten Manchester City at home and earned a point at Stamford Bridge.
Arsenal are seemingly in freefall yet they could find confidence in their away form compared to their dismal home showings.
The Gunners have lost three league games in a row at the Emirates, but have avoided defeat in their last two away fixtures – including a win at Manchester United.
Reason for Tottenham Hotspur vs Arsenal predictions:
- Tottenham have won four of their last five Premier League games and are unbeaten in nine.
- Arsenal have lost four of their last six league matches.
- Spurs have kept a clean sheet in four of their last five league games.
- Spurs are vying to keep four successive Premier League clean sheets for the first time since April 2017.
- Harry Kane has scored in nine of his 13 competitive appearances against Arsenal.
- Mourinho has never lost a game against Arsenal in 10 career meetings — no side has played against him more without winning.
- Jose Mourinho is unbeaten in competitive home fixtures against Arsenal, winning six games and drawing four.
- Arsenal’s tally of 13 points is their lowest after 10 matches since the 1981-82 season.
- Arteta is winless in all seven of his Premier League games as a player and a manager against Jose Mourinho.
Tottenham can win consecutive competitive North London derbies for the first time since a run of three from 1980 to 1982.
Spurs have dropped a competition-high 42 Premier League points from winning positions against Arsenal.
Spurs are also now unbeaten in their last six top-flight home games against their near neighbours stretching back to 2014 – their longest such run since a nine-game streak from January 1960 to January 1968.
There could be a place in history for both managers this weekend too. Arteta is looking to avoid becoming only the second Arsenal boss ever – after Bertie Mee in 1966-67 – to lose his first two North London derbies, while Mourinho is looking to become only the second Spurs boss – after Jimmy Anderson in 1955-56 – to win his first two.
Tottenham are a better side than Arsenal, a more reliable side and they are superior defensively – which is in large part down to the manager and his philosophy.
Arsenal don’t seem to have leaders at the moment – so when the going gets tough they don’t get going.
Mourinho has never lost a home match against Arsenal in 10 previous matches across all competitions, and we cannot see that record being blemished this weekend.
Spurs are unbeaten in the Premier League since the opening weekend of the 2020/21 season, winning six and drawing three of their games.
Arsenal, meanwhile, aren’t having anywhere near as much fun as their local rivals.
Arsenal’s Premier League form is poor at the moment whereas Tottenham are flying and can smell a title challenge. Add the return of fans into the mix and Spurs will be rubbing their hands in anticipation of this match as they look to add to Arsenal’s woes this season.
Our Prediction: Tottenham Hotspur 3-1 Arsenal