There will be fireworks when Switzerland and Germany face each other in the Nations League derby.
Two sides looking to secure their first victory of the 2020-21 UEFA Nations League at the second attempt will meet on Sunday as Switzerland face off against Germany at St. Jakob-Park.
Switzerland kicked off their campaign with a 2-1 defeat to Ukraine, while Germany suffered last-minute heartbreak against Spain as they were forced to settle for a draw on Thursday evening.
Reason for Switzerland vs. Germany predictions:
- Switzerland are unbeaten at home in competitive football since 2014, playing 16 competitive games since.
- Germany are yet to win in the UEFA Nations League, drawing three and losing two of their five matches so far.
- Switzerland have picked up results against Denmark, Belgium, Iceland, Ireland and Portugal at home since their last defeat.
- In the past 100 years, only twice have Low’s men lost against this opponent.
- They have scored a total of 20 goals from the preceding seven games.
- The latest Swiss win had come in 2012, and before that in 1938.
Switzerland fell to another away defeat at the hands of Ukraine on Thursday. Germany were unfortunate not to beat Spain in midweek but do come into this match a bit weaker than they would have liked.
They are still a very strong team, but they’re facing a Swiss side that haven’t lost a competitive game at home since 2014. They have played 16 competitive games there since.
Switzerland and Germany have not locked horns since a 2012 friendly, where Die Mannschaft ultimately ended up on the wrong side of an eight-goal scoreline as Switzerland recorded a thrilling 5-3 victory.
Germany are still winless in the UEFA Nations League. With three draws and two defeats so far, backing a Switzerland win or draw double chance looks fantastic value.
Prediction: Germany (Full Time Result) @ 1.8