In their last match, the Magpies managed to get the better of Everton, with a Callum Wilson brace inspiring a 2-1 victory for Steve Bruce’s side.
Southampton came out on top in a seven-goal thriller with Aston Villa at the weekend, while Newcastle condemned Everton to their second defeat of the season last time out.
In their last five Premier League games, Newcastle United have only lost once – a 4-1 defeat at home to Manchester United.
Southampton, on the other hand, are flying high. In the early Premier League standings, the Saints find themselves in fifth place, after two excellent victories in their last two games.
Southampton beat Everton and Aston Villa in the last two weeks by 2-0 and 4-3 scorelines respectively.
Reason for Southampton vs Newcastle predictions:
- Newcastle are unbeaten in six previous meetings with Southampton.
- Southampton will be without injured influential frontman Danny Ings on Friday.
- Both teams scored in each of Newcastle’s last five Premier League fixtures.
- Southampton scored in all but one of their Premier League assignments this term.
- Southampton have lost all three of their home Premier League fixtures on a Friday by an aggregate score of 2-15, most recently humbled 0-9 by Leicester in October 2019.
- The Magpies have lost only two of their 10 matches in all competitions this season. Eleven points is their highest total after seven fixtures of a Premier League campaign since 2011-12.
Newcastle have 40 out of the previous 100 matches against Southampton, while losing 37 times. These two teams have drawn 23 of their matches against each other.
Last season, Newcastle earned their first away league win against Southampton since September 2004. They’ve never won back-to-back league visits in this fixture. The Magpies won 2-1 at home, followed by a 1-0 win at St. Mary’s.
Despite losing the prolific Ings for the next few weeks, last weekend’s victory at Villa proved that Southampton have goals in abundance in other areas of the pitch, and they can feel confident of chalking up a couple of strikes against a Newcastle side without a clean sheet since the first game week of the season. Ings will be a big miss for Southampton, but they have got several other in-form players in their squad, not least James Ward-Prowse.
Hasenhuttl’s men are enjoying a terrific spell of form and we expect them to record a third consecutive victory here, but Newcastle are sure to make it a difficult evening for them nonetheless.
We are predicting a high-scoring draw in this game.
Our Prediction: Southampton 1-1 Newcastle