After two poor results on the bounce, Liverpool aim to begin 2021 on the right note when they travel to the south coast for a Premier League clash against Southampton.
Both sides ended 2020 with disappointing goalless draws as the Saints were held at home by West Ham United and Liverpool were frustrated by Newcastle United.
The Reds have dropped four points in their last two games against Newcastle United and West Bromwich Albion.
Liverpool created enough chances to win the game against Newcastle, but were denied by a superb performance in goal from Karl Darlow.
The Reds are no longer alone at the summit of the Premier League table. Manchester United are on the same number of points as Liverpool, with Klopp’s side holding on to the league leadership only on goal difference.
Southampton have not won in four league games. They have drawn their last two matches, playing out goalless draws against Fulham and West Ham United.
Reason for Southampton vs Liverpool predictions:
- Southampton have failed to score in their last three games.
- They could register three consecutive goalless draws for the first time in their league history.
- They have equalled their highest tally of 26 points after 16 matches of a Premier League season.
- Saints have won just one of their last 15 Premier League games played on a Monday, drawing seven and losing seven.
- The Saints have lost three of four clashes at home to sides above them.
- Liverpool have won the last six clashes between these two sides.
- Liverpool have won only four of their past 14 Premier League away matches, drawing six and losing four.
- They failed to score in a Premier League game for the first time this season against Newcastle last time out.
- Mohamed Salah has scored seven goals in six Premier League appearances against Southampton.
- Southampton have failed to score in six of eight clashes with Liverpool.
Southampton have lost 57 of the previous 112 games that they have played against Liverpool, winning 30 times against the Reds.
Liverpool have won six consecutive Premier League matches against Southampton by an aggregate scoreline of 17-2.
The last time Southampton managed to avoid defeat against Liverpool was in a Premier League clash at Anfield in the 2016-17 season. That match ended 0-0.
Saints could become the first team to beat all seven Premier League champions in the season following a title win.
The hosts have their own deadly striker in former Liverpool man Danny Ings, who has had a direct hand in 38 Premier League goals for the club since Hasenhuttl’s arrival in December 2018.
Southampton have gone off the boil recently and Liverpool will be desperate to come back with a bang after a couple of disappointing results.
The addition of Thiago to their midfield gives Liverpool some much-needed verve. We expect the Reds to earn three points from this fixture.
Our Prediction: Liverpool @ 1.64
Source: BetInAsia Black