Russia vs Sweden prediction, preview and team news
With the international break upon us, this Thursday sees the final qualifiers for Euro 2021 begin. Meanwhile, there are also a number of international friendlies, and one of them sees Russia play host to Sweden.
Both teams have already qualified for Euro 2021, and so this should act as a warm-up of sorts for the UEFA Nations League matches they have coming up at the weekend.
The Russians have had a fantastic start to their UEFA Nations League campaign, winning their first two matches.
Their opponent Sweden weren’t so lucky, having been drafted with European Championship winner Portugal, World Cup winner France and World Cup finalist Croatia. They have already lost their opening two matches and are due to play Croatia and Portugal in this international break.
Russia had only one loss in their last ten matches across all major contests, and that too was at home against Belgium in the Euro qualifiers. They are on a three-game winning streak in the schedule, following a 2-3 win on the road against Hungary last time out in the UNL fixture.
Russia vs Sweden Head-to-head:
- Both teams have two wins each in their clashes since 1994.
- Their previous encounter gave a 2-0 home win for Sweden.
- Two of their recent five fixtures have ended in a draw.
- Both teams have scored in only one of their last five matches.
- The visitor has been unbeaten in the recent two meetings.
- Russia have won five of their last six games.
- The visitor Sweden has been unbeaten in the recent two meetings.
- Sweden were in a six-game unbeaten run prior to their defeat to France in the UEFA Nations League in September.
- Russia have scored three or more goals in all of their last six matches across all competitions.
Recent results have been positive for Russia – they’ve won five of their last six games, with the only loss coming to Belgium last November.
Sweden were defeated in both of their UEFA Nations League games, falling to high-level opponents in the form of France and Portugal.
Russia have been in good form of late but it must be stated that their opposition have been relatively poor.
Sweden promise to be a much trickier test for them, but this will still be a tough game given that they are without their captain.
Our prediction: Russia (Full Time Result) @ 2.15