The UEFA Europa League is back in action with another round of matches this week as Ajax take on AS Roma at the Stadio Olimpico on Thursday. Both teams have been impressive this season and have a point to prove going into this game.
Ajax were on a 24 match unbeaten run before hosting Roma in the UEFA Europa League quarter-final first leg.
Ajax are well on their way to yet another Eredivisie title this season and have been excellent under Erik ten Hag.
Roma had been in poor form in Serie A, losing two and drawing one match before taking on Ajax in the Europa League quarter-finals.
AS Roma have been impressive in the Serie A and have an outside chance of winning the UEFA Europa League this season.
Roma vs Ajax predictions:
- Roma are undefeated in their last 3 matches (all competitions).
- Roma are undefeated in 13 of their last 14 home matches (UEFA Europa League).
- Ajax have are undefeated in 15 of their last 26 matches (all competitions).
- Over 2.5 goals have been scored in five of Ajax’ last six Europa League matches.
- Both teams have scored in four of Ajax’s last six games in the competition.
- Roma have lost only three of their 22 home fixtures in all competitions this term.
- Roma hold a 2-1 advantage from last week’s first-leg.
Ajax and AS Roma have faced each other on only three occasions on the European front in the past. Both teams have managed one victory apiece and will want to seize the initiative this week.
Ajax have a 1-1 record against Roma with one draw.
They first met in the 2002/03 UEFA Champions League group stage, Ajax winning 2-1 in Amsterdam before a 1-1 draw in Italy.
The previous meeting between the two teams took place in the first leg of the UEFA Europa League quarterfinals last week and ended in a 2-1 victory for AS Roma.
Roma produced a vital win in the first leg against Ajax in Amsterdam.
As the nation’s last remaining representatives in Europe this season, Roma can keep the Italian flag flying thanks to their first leg advantage – with experienced campaigners Dzeko, Pedro and Mkhitaryan all poised to play a role in steering their team to a potential semi-final date with Manchester United.
Our prediction: Draw @ 3.94