Following the proposed European Super League fiasco, the UEFA Champions League returns on Tuesday as Chelsea take on Real Madrid.
This will be the first-leg of their semi-final clash at the Estadio Alfredo Di Stefano.
Real Madrid are undefeated in their last 17 matches in all competitions. They are second in La Liga, two points behind Atletico Madrid and level with Barcelona.
Chelsea are fighting on three fronts under Thomas Tuchel. They got past Porto in the UEFA Champions League quarter-finals, winning 2-0 in the first leg and losing 1-0 in the second leg.
The Blues are three games away from replicating their 2012 success, but they face a stern test of progressing at the expense of the competition’s most decorated team.
Chelsea coasted through to the semi-finals after claiming a 2-1 aggregate win over Portuguese outfit Porto in the quarter-finals.
Chelsea returned to the Premier League with a 0-0 draw at home against Brighton. They dominated possession but found chances hard to come by.
Real Madrid are currently in a three-horse race for the league title, but they will shortly divert their attention to the Champions League, where they’re hunting for a record 14th title.
Real Madrid vs Chelsea predictions:
- Real Madrid are undefeated in their last 17 matches (all competitions).
- Real Madrid have kept 4 consecutive clean sheets (all competitions).
- Real Madrid have drawn 0-0 in 3 of their last 4 matches (all competitions).
- Real Madrid have won the first leg of nine of their last 10 Champions League knockout ties, scoring at least two goals in eight of these games.
- Chelsea are undefeated in 20 of their last 22 matches (all competitions).
- Chelsea are undefeated in their last 10 away matches (all competitions).
- Chelsea have seen under 2.5 goals in 18 of their last 21 matches (all competitions).
- Chelsea have seen under 1.5 goals in their last 4 matches (all competitions).
- Chelsea have kept 3 consecutive clean sheets (all competitions).
- Both Real Madrid and Chelsea’s last four matches have featured just three goals in total.
This will be the 163rd UEFA Champions League match between English and Spanish teams, the most of any two nations. English teams have won four of their last seven against Spanish opponents, twice as many as in their previous 20 against them.
Chelsea have a 2-0 advantage against Real Madrid with 1 draw in 3 competitive matches.
Real Madrid and Chelsea have only ever met thrice in the UEFA competitions. Chelsea have gone unbeaten in those fixtures, claiming two wins and one draw. They faced in the 1971 Cup Winners’ Cup final (1-1 first game, 2-1 to Chelsea in replay) and the 1998 UEFA Super Cup final (1-0 to Chelsea).
In the pre-season International Champions Cup, Real Madrid and Chelsea faced off in 2013 and 2016, with the Galacticos winning on both occasions.
They last met in the 1998 UEFA Super Cup, Chelsea winning 1-0 in Monaco with Gianfranco Zola assisting Gustavo Poyet for the winner.
Real Madrid and Chelsea have been involved many low scoring matches in recent weeks and we expect a cagey affair on Tuesday.
Both Real Madrid and Chelsea have been extremely solid at the back in recent games, so we can pretty much rule out a goal-fest on Tuesday night. Both teams are likely to play it safe, without giving away much to their opponent.
As a result, a draw looks like the likeliest outcome, although an away goal could be a potential game-changer for Chelsea.
Our prediction: Draw @ 3.21