Preview: Chelsea vs Aston Villa | Premier League
Chelsea face Aston Villa on Monday evening at Stamford Bridge in the Premier League looking to bounce back from an abysmal display in their last outing.
The Blues were extremely poor in a thumping 3-1 defeat away at a struggling Arsenal and are now facing an uphill battle to catch the top teams with a real lack of confidence.
In contrast, Villa head to Stamford Bridge following a resounding 3-0 win over Crystal Palace, with Dean Smith’s side playing the second 45 with 10 men on Boxing Day.
The Blues are in a real struggle for form at present with just one win against West Ham in their last five matches and have seen extremely poor defeats to Wolves, Everton and most recently to Arsenal.
The Villans are on a real purple patch and are enjoying life in the Premier League, with just one defeat in their last five against West Ham and will be looking to stay above Chelsea and maintain their momentum.
Reason for Chelsea vs Aston Villa predictions:
- Five of Chelsea’s last six Premier League home games have featured three or more goals.
- Four of Villa’s last six Premier League away games have featured three or more goals.
- These teams have averaged 2.42 and 2.0 goals per home and away game respectively this season.
- Both Chelsea and Aston Villa have lost only one of their respective home and away games this season.
- Chelsea have lost three of their last four Premier League matches following an unbeaten run of 17 fixtures in all competitions.
- Chelsea are unbeaten in six home games, winning four and drawing two.
- Abraham has scored 21 goals since the start of last season, more than double the tally of any other Chelsea player.
- Aston Villa have won eight of their opening 13 Premier League fixtures for only the second time, emulating 1998-99.
- Villa’s tally of 25 points after 13 games is their best in the Premier League for 22 years.
- The Villans have gone four successive Premier League games without conceding for the first time since February 2010.
Chelsea have won 10 of their last 11 Premier League matches against Aston Villa, including the last six in a row.
Villa have not won at Stamford Bridge since a 3-1 Premier League victory in December 2011. It is Villa’s only away success in this fixture in 18 years.
The Blues have not lost their final Premier League match of a calendar year since a 3-1 defeat against Villa in 2011.
Chelsea come into the game with just one win in their last four outings and the pressure is firmly on Frank Lampard to turn things around, especially after the manner of the defeat against Arsenal on Boxing Day. Aston Villa, in contrast, are flying high, having not lost in four consecutive matches, keeping a clean sheet every time.
The Blues haven’t been firing on all cylinders in attack of late, with Hakim Ziyech’s absence being sorely felt. Plus, with Lampard likely to make some changes, Villa will fancy their chances of coming away with a win. That being said, Chelsea boast a solid record at home against the Villans and should have enough quality to avoid a defeat.
Our Prediction: Draw @ 4.23
Source: BetInAsia Black