Relegation-threatened Newcastle United will be looking for their first victory in over a month when they continue their Premier League campaign at home to European chasers Aston Villa on Friday night.
Newcastle United and Aston Villa are both coming off goalless draws as they square off at St. James’ Park on Friday.
Newcastle United were perhaps lucky to escape with a point against West Bromwich Albion last week. The draw has now placed the Magpies just a point above the drop zone. Newcastle United are 16th on the Premier League table with 27 points. Brighton and Fulham are 17th and 18th with 26 points each.
Aston Villa had suffered a surprise defeat at the hands of Sheffield United prior to that and are currently 9th on the table with 40 points from 26 games.
Newcastle United are unbeaten in their last 12 home games against Aston Villa. Seeing as Newcastle United have not won any of their last four games, this would be a good time for Aston Villa to break that streak and finally register a win at St. James’ Park.
Newcastle have also only won one of their last seven league meetings with Villa and suffered a 2-0 defeat when they travelled to Dean Smith’s side for the reverse game earlier this season.
Villa actually have at least one game in hand over every other team in the division, while they are just six points off sixth-placed Everton, with a match spare and will certainly be eyeing a Europa League finish.
The seven-time English champions have been impressive on their travels this term, collecting 23 points from 14 matches, which is superior to their record at Villa Park.
Match Facts Newcastle United vs Aston Villa:
- Newcastle have lost eight of their 12 Premier League matches in 2021.
- The Magpies have lost six league fixtures and conceded 22 goals at St James’ Park this season.
- Newcastle’s solitary Premier League clean sheet in 17 home matches came in a goalless draw with Liverpool.
- A win would guarantee Villa their highest Premier League points total since 2010-11, when they finished with 48.
- They kept a clean sheet in 11 of their 12 league victories this season but have only avoided defeat in two of the 12 matches in which they conceded a goal.
- Aston Villa have equalled the club top-flight record of eight away clean sheets in a season.
Newcastle United have had an edge over Aston Villa in the past 10 meetings between the two clubs. They have won three games while Villa have won two. Five matches have ended as draws.
The last time these two sides locked horns was in the corresponding fixture in the first half of the season when Aston Villa won the game 2-0.
Newcastle’s only league victory in the past seven attempts against Villa came at St James’ Park in the Championship in February 2017.
Newcastle are unbeaten in 11 Premier League home games in this fixture since a 3-0 defeat in April 2005 when they had three players sent off.
Aston Villa have been the much better side of late and over the course of the season as well. Newcastle United’s poor form has got them dangerously close to the drop zone but they will have their work cut out for them against Aston Villa.
Our Prediction: Aston Villa to win @ 2.09
Source: BetInAsia Black