Manchester United will be aiming to place one foot in the final when they welcome AS Roma to Old Trafford for their Europa League semi-final clash on Thursday.
The visitors have failed to taste success in any UEFA competition and will be looking to change that record this season.
Manchester United started the season in the Champions League but a poor ending to their group stage campaign saw them dropping down to the Europa League.
Man United saw a five-game winning run ended as they drew 0-0 with Leeds on Sunday. The stalemate saw the Red Devils close to within 10 points of leaders Man City.
United are unbeaten in their last 17 home games in the Europa League (winning 13 and drawing four), and had won five in a row in the competition before two draws earlier this spring.
AS Roma finished as comfortable winners in Group A of the Europa League ahead of the likes of BSC Young Boys, CFR Cluj and CSKA Sofia.
Roma sealed a spot in the Europa League semi-finals with a 1-1 draw at home to Ajax, which secured a 3-2 aggregate victory.
Roma have won only one of their 17 previous European fixtures in England, losing ten of those games – including three at Old Trafford.
Man United vs Roma Predictions:
- Man United have won 7 of their last 9 matches (all competitions).
- Man United have won their last 3 matches (UEFA Europa League).
- Man United have seen under 2.5 goals in their last 5 matches (UEFA Europa League).
- Man United have kept 5 clean sheets in their last 6 matches (UEFA Europa League).
- Man United have won 4 of their last 5 matches against Roma (UEFA Champions League).
- Man United have only lost one of their last 12 games against Italian opponents in European competition.
- Roma have lost their last 2 away matches (Serie A).
- Roma have lost all three of their previous away games against Manchester United, conceding nine goals and scoring just once in return.
- Roma are undefeated in their last six games in the UEFA Europa League.
This will be the seventh meeting between Manchester United and Roma in European competition. The Red Devils have only lost one of the previous six – all of which have been in the Champions League.
The last competitive meetings came in the 2007/08 UEFA Champions League quarter-finals with United winning 2-0 in Rome and 1-0 in Manchester.
Manchester United are unbeaten in the last five meetings against Roma, winning four of them.
With four wins in their six meetings with Roma, Manchester United head into Thursday’s clash as the dominant side in the history of this fixture. Roma have managed just one win, while it has ended all square once.
Manchester United were quite off colour against Leeds last time out but are unbeaten in their last six games. Roma, meanwhile, are coming into the game on the back of a four-game winless streak.
The two sides have been solid at both ends of the pitch this season and this is likely to be a close contest.
Considering Manchester United come into this encounter in better form, we expect them to grab another victory.
Our prediction: Manchester United win @ 1.58