Liverpool vs Aston Villa: prediction, preview, team news / Premier League 2020-21
Liverpool host Aston Villa in the Premier League on Saturday as both sides look to mount a late push for a top-four finish.
Liverpool were convincingly beaten 3-1 by the Spanish outfit and will know that a similar performance could see them lose to a dangerous Villa side. The Reds are currently seventh in the league, and if results go their way on Saturday, they could end the weekend in the top four.
Aston Villa ended a four-game run without a win when defeating Fulham 3-1 last weekend. They have not been able to replicate the scintillating form that saw them in the top four during the first half of the season.
Villa are currently ninth, five points behind Liverpool.
- Liverpool are winless in eight Premier League home matches, losing the last six.
- Only four teams have ever lost seven consecutive home games in a Premier League season – and all four went on to finish bottom of the league.
- This is the first time Liverpool have lost 10 competitive fixtures in a calendar year before the end of April since 1954.
- Aston Villa have kept eight clean sheets away from home in the Premier League this season.
- Villa have won seven of their 15 away league matches this season.
- Liverpool have seen under 2.5 goals in 5 of their last 6 matches (Premier League).
- Liverpool have seen under 2.5 goals in 8 of their last 9 home matches (Premier League).
- Aston Villa have seen under 2.5 goals in 5 of their last 6 matches (Premier League).
- Aston Villa have seen under 2.5 goals in their last 5 away matches (Premier League).
Liverpool have won their last two home Premier League meetings with Aston Villa, last winning more consecutively between 2003/04 and 2006/07.
Liverpool have 97 wins in this fixture compared to 59 wins for Aston Villa. There have also been 40 draws played out between the clubs.
Aston Villa embarrassed Liverpool 7-2 in the Premier League earlier in the season in a huge shock. Liverpool then won 4-1 against Aston Villa’s Under-23 side in the FA Cup third round.
Liverpool have dominated the recent head-to-head record between the two sides. Liverpool have had four league wins against Aston Villa’s one in recent encounters.
A good weekend last weekend means that Champions League football next season is still very much within reach, and due to the schedule of games this weekend Liverpool would actually climb into the top four temporarily at least with a win over Aston Villa.
The reverse fixture proved that anything can happen in this fixture, and Liverpool’s home form coupled with Villa’s away record this season suggests that this could be another difficult contest for Liverpool.
Liverpool should have too much quality in their squad for Aston Villa, but Dean Smith’s side will not be easily beaten.
We predict Liverpool will beat Aston Villa in a close contest.
Our prediction: Liverpool win @ 1.5