Everton vs Leicester City: prediction, preview and team news
Everton and Leicester City face off at Goodison Park on Wednesday evening, both aiming to maintain their impressive Premier League form.
The Toffees have won five of their last six top-flight games, while Leicester have won three in a row in the competition and are unbeaten in six.
Everton are currently sixth in the Premier League, with 32 points from 17 games. They are eight points behind leaders Manchester United, but with two games in hand.
The Toffees are also six points behind Wednesday’s opponents, who have built up a tremendous head of steam.
Everton beat Wolves 2-1 at Molineux, with a late winner from Michael Keane giving them the three points. Alex Iwobi’s early opener in that game was canceled out by Ruben Neves’ instant equalizer for Wolves.
However, Everton have also progressed to the fifth round of the FA Cup since, putting in a strong showing to brush aside Sheffield Wednesday.
They won that game 3-0 with goals from Dominic Calvert-Lewin, Richarlison and Yerry Mina.
Leicester City were excellent in their last Premier League game, a 2-0 win over Chelsea, in a match that they dominated from start to finish. That game eventually proved to be Frank Lampard’s last league game in charge of the Blues.
The Foxes are currently third in the league, just two points behind United. Like Everton, they also beat Championship opposition in the FA Cup, defeating Brentford 3-1 in a come-from-behind win.
Reason for Everton vs Leicester City predictions:
- Both teams have scored in five of Leicester’s last eight Premier League away games.
- Both teams have notched in five of Everton’s last eight home assignments.
- Leicester have lost just one of their nine Premier League away games this season.
- They have won seven of their nine away league fixtures in 2020-21.
- Everton have dropped points in 50% of their Premier League home matches this term.
- Everton have won 15 of their 23 matches in all competitions this season, just one fewer than they managed from a total of 43 fixtures in 2019-20.
- The Toffees can win 11 of their opening 18 Premier League games for only the second time, emulating 2004-05.
- The Foxes have kept consecutive Premier League clean sheets for the first time since a run of four from October to November 2019.
Leicester City have won 38 and lost 44 games against Everton in the past. In total, 32 of the 114 games between these two teams so far have ended in draws.
Everton beat Leicester 2-0 in the league last month at the King Power Stadium, with goals from Richarlison and Mason Holgate.
Everton won the reverse fixture and are seeking a third league victory in a row against Leicester for the first time since 1980.
None of the past 11 Premier League meetings have ended in a draw.
The Toffees have been in good form, but they have had some mixed results at Goodison Park over the past couple of months and we can see away-day specialists Leicester prevailing.
Everton have their task cut out against Leicester on Wedneday night. However, without Vardy, it will be interesting to see how Rodgers approaches this game.
Despite the prolific striker’s absence, we fancy Leicester to win this game, with the likes of Maddison, Barnes and Tielemans in excellent form.
Our Prediction: Leicester City @ 2.67
Source: BetInAsia Black