England vs Poland: prediction, preview, team news | FIFA World Cup Qualifiers
After two relatively easy fixtures, England face their toughest test of the FIFA World Cup Qualifiers yet as they take on Poland on Wednesday.
On Wednesday, Matchday 3 of the FIFA World Cup 2022 Qualifiers in Europe will culminate, with one of the big games being played at Wembley, where England will play hosts to Poland.
Both teams eased to comfortable victories at the weekend, with the Three Lions cruising past Albania 2-0 while Poland eased to a 3-0 win over Andorra.
England have made a fine start to their campaign in the FIFA World Cup 2022 Qualifiers, having eased past San Marino and Albania in their opening two fixtures.
Poland, on the other hand, were a little slow off the blocks, as they came from behind to hold Hungary to a 3-3 draw to begin their qualifying campaign. Poland are ranked 19th in the world by Fifa.
Paulo Sousa’s men are currently sitting second behind England but can go top of the group with a win over the Three Lions on Wednesday.
- England have lost just one of the 19 games they have played against Poland till date, with the sole defeat coming way back in 1973.
- England have won each of their last eight games against Poland on home soil, with the only two other outings ending in a draw.
- Poland have managed to win just one of their last four games across all competitions.
- England have won 12 of their last 13 fixtures across all competitions, with the only other game ending in a 1-0 defeat to Denmark last October.
- The last time England lost to a side outside the top 10 was in October 2019, when Czech Republic inflicted the only loss of the Euros qualification campaign on Southgate’s men.
England and Poland have clashed 19 times till date. England have dominated Poland so far, winning 11 of those 19 matches. Seven games have ended as draws while Poland have been able to win once and that was all the way back in 1973.
In the last ten matches between the two sides, England have won seven times while three matches have ended as draws.
Looking at the head to head record, Poland do not have too many reasons for optimism ahead of the trip to London. The visitors won just 1 of 19 encounters with England. They have never beaten the Three Lions on English turf.
The Three Lions won 12 of the last 13 home matches across competitions (including friendlies). They have scored 44 and conceded only 6 goals along the way. Poland will be without their talisman as Robert Lewandowski is ruled out for the game through a knee injury.
Poland conceded at least two goals in three of the last four outings. They have only kept their net untouched in the weekend’s game against Andorra in the process.
It’s important for England to win the game against Poland to remain at the top in the group. The Three Lions have a great record against Poland and given the sheer talent on show.
Our prediction: England to win @ 1.34