Champions League winners Chelsea will take on Europa League champions Villarreal at Windsor Park in Belfast for the UEFA Super Cup on Wednesday.
Thomas Tuchel transformed Chelsea’s side into Champions League winners in one half-season.
They were not tipped to win any of their last three matches in the Champions League.
They’ve had a decent pre-season as well. After beating Bournemouth 2-1, Chelsea saw off Arsenal by a 2-1 scoreline before settling for a 2-2 draw with Tottenham Hotspur.
They have not won any of their last three UEFA Super Cup encounters and have suffered defeats against Atletico Madrid, Bayern Munich and Liverpool.
Villarreal had a disappointing pre-season and are winless in six friendlies. Villarreal beat Manchester United on penalties to win Europe’s secondary competition.
Their latest outings came against Premier League sides Leicester City and Leeds United. This will be Villarreal’s first UEFA Super Cup game and will draw inspiration from the fact that they are undefeated in their last 15 continental matches.
Chelsea vs Villareal predictions:
- Chelsea have only lost two of their last 12 games against Spanish opposition in European competitions.
- Seven of the last eight Super Cups have been won by the Champions League winners.
- Chelsea will be appearing in the UEFA Super Cup for the fifth time in 2021 – since winning their first one in 1998 vs Real Madrid.
- Villarreal are unbeaten in their last 15 games in European competition.
- Villarreal are winless in pre-season (D3, L3).
- Gerard Moreno was directly involved in 10 goals in 12 games for Villarreal in the 2020/21 UEFA Europa League.
This will be the first time that Chelsea and Villarreal face off against each other.
Chelsea return to competitive action for the first time since claiming the Champions League title when they face Europa League winners Villarreal in the UEFA Super Cup on Wednesday.
Chelsea had a great record against La Liga opposition last season as they were unbeaten in six games in the Champions League.
Chelsea impressed at the back in the Premier League last season with 36 goals conceded in 38 games, the second best defensive record in the division, but mistakes did creep in towards the end of the campaign.
Chelsea have looked quite decent in pre-season. Villarreal seem like they’re a long way away from finding their feet. The Blues could prove to be too strong for Unai Emery’s men on Wednesday.
Our prediction: Chelsea win @ 1.72