Chelsea are one game away from the Champions League quarter-finals as they welcome Atletico Madrid at Stamford Bridge for the second leg of their last-16 tie.
Chelsea haven’t been beaten since Thomas Tuchel took over in January. They are undefeated in their last 13 matches, keeping 10 clean sheets in their last 12 matches including five straight shutouts.
Though they haven’t exactly been the most enterprising side in the final third, the Blues have shored up their defense.
Atletico Madrid sit at the top of La Liga, 4 points clear of Barcelona. There have been some weaknesses shown in recent weeks with two wins in their last seven matches.
Atletico Madrid let go of a great opportunity to keep their lead at the top of the La Liga table intact as they were held to a goalless draw by 10-men Getafe.
Both teams are defensively solid and only Olivier Giroud’s goal in the 68th minute of the first leg at the Wanda Metropolitano separates the two sides.
Chelsea vs Atletico Madrid predictions:
- Chelsea are undefeated in their last 13 matches (all competitions).
- Chelsea have seen under 2.5 goals in their last 8 matches (all competitions).
- Chelsea have kept 10 clean sheets in their last 12 matches (all competitions).
- Chelsea have drawn 3 of their last 6 matches (all competitions).
- Chelsea are undefeated in 6 of their last 7 matches against Atletico Madrid (UEFA Champions League).
- Atletico Madrid are undefeated in 16 of their last 19 matches (all competitions).
- Atletico Madrid have seen under 2.5 goals in 6 of their last 7 matches (all competitions).
- Atletico Madrid have drawn 2 of their last 3 matches (La Liga).
- Atletico Madrid have won just two of their past 10 away Champions League knockout matches (drawn two, lost six).
Atletico Madrid have lost three Champions League matches against Chelsea, their joint-most against an opponent along with Bayern Munich and Real Madrid.
Atletico’s solitary Champions League victory over the Blues came at Stamford Bridge in a 3-1 win during the 2013-14 semi finals.
Chelsea and Atletico Madrid have clashed eight times till date. Both teams have won three games apiece. Two matches have ended in draws. The last time these two sides locked horns was in the first leg when Chelsea won the game 1-0.
Chelsea have a 3-2 advantage against Atletico Madrid with 3 draws in 8 matches.
They met in the 2017/18 Champions League group stage, Chelsea winning 2-1 in Madrid before a 1-1 draw in London.
There will be very little to separate the two sides, although Atletico Madrid will be aiming to take the game to Chelsea instead of sitting back and absorbing the pressure.
Chelsea and Atletico Madrid have struggled to score a lot of goals of late. Chelsea are in better form and they haven’t lost under Thomas Tuchel. They have extremely strong defensively so they are going into this match and they should see this one through.
Our Predictions: Draw @ 3.20
Source: BetInAsia Black