Brighton are back in action on Thursday evening as they take on fellow South Coast outfit Portsmouth in the EFL Cup second round.
There will be fireworks when Brighton and Portsmouth face each other at Amex Stadium in the EFL Cup round 3.
These two sides have not faced each other since the 2011/12 season, in which both clubs occupied a place in the Championship.
Portsmouth defeated Stevenage on penalties in their opener.
Reason for Brighton vs. Portsmouth predictions:
- Brighton played in the Premier League on Monday and will likely shuffle their pack for Thursday’s cup tie.
- Portsmouth haven’t made it beyond the second round of the league cup since 2010.
- Brighton scored one or fewer goals in 11 of their last 13 home fixtures.
- The last time Brighton failed to score at home in the cup was a 0-1 loss to Sheffield Weds in January this year.
- The last time Portsmouth kept a clean sheet away in the cup was in a 2-0 win against QPR in August 2019.
Having contested a tough Premier League opener at home to Chelsea on Monday evening, the tight domestic schedule sees Brighton enter the second round of the Carabao Cup against Portsmouth on Thursday.
Brighton have scored 2 goals or more in 9 of their last 20 home games. Portsmouth have conceded at least 2 goals in 10 of their last 20 away games.
Brighton are favoured to beat a Portsmouth side that haven’t made it beyond the second round of the League Cup since 2010.
With Portsmouth potentially placing more priority on this game than their hosts, we expect a competitive tussle at the Amex Stadium.
Prediction: Brighton -0.5, -1.0 @ 1.83