Brighton vs Manchester United: prediction, preview and team news
Manchester United will look to record their first Premier League win of the season when they take on Brighton & Hove Albion on Saturday.
Both sides beat Championship opposition away from home in the EFL Cup in midweek, but they suffered contrasting fortunes in their last league games with Brighton beating Newcastle United and Man United losing at home to Crystal Palace.
Brighton have made a solid start to the season, impressing in just about every game they have played so far. The Seagulls began their 2020/21 campaign with a 3-1 loss to Chelsea, a game in which they ran the Blues close before being defeated. Since then, Graham Potter’s men have won three successive games.
After a summer of frustration in the transfer market and off-field headlines for the wrong reasons surrounding a couple of their key players, Manchester United would have been desperate to get off to a positive start when their Premier League campaign belatedly got underway last weekend.
Reason for Brighton vs. Manchester United predictions:
- Brighton have scored in eight of their last ten competitive matches.
- Both teams have scored in three of the last four meetings between these teams.
- Brighton played out eight 1-1 draws in the Premier League last season.
- Manchester United have only won two of their last five league matches.
- Manchester United have not won their first away fixture of a Premier League campaign in either of the last two seasons, including a defeat at Brighton in 2018/19.
- Manchester United have won four successive league matches on the road, by an aggregate score of 10-0.
United have won 15 times out of a possible 23 while Brighton have only picked up the three wins. The two sides have drawn a total of five times.
Manchester United need a win and they need to get it in style. That’s the only way the air of negativity surrounding the club.
Brighton, on the other hand, will view the visitors as vulnerable. Graham Potter’s side is hard to beat on any given day.
This could be a fascinating contest and, given last weekend’s results, one which United fans are particularly wary of. The Red Devils did not look good at home to Crystal Palace, and on paper this is arguably an even tougher match.
Brighton are in good form and were slightly unfortunate with the result against Chelsea on the opening day, so we can see them getting something out of this game.
Prediction: Man Utd Over 1.5 @ 1.8