Blackpool will trade tackles with Oxford United at Bloomfield Road on Friday in the second leg of their League One Playoff semifinal.
The hosts hold the advantage in the tie, having won the first leg with a convincing 3-0 victory away from home.
Simms has been in excellent form late in the season, scoring five of Blackpool’s last six goals in his last three matches.
Blackpool finished the regular season in third place, while Oxford United occupied the final playoff spot.
Oxford’s run of three consecutive wins came to an end following the 3-0 loss to Blackpool on Tuesday evening.
It was the first time in 10 matches where Oxford failed to score as they were frustrated by a rigid Blackpool.
Karl Robinson’s side ended the regular League One season in good form, winning six of their last seven matches and making the playoffs on goal difference.
The winner of this tie will earn a place in the final of the League One Playoff against Sunderland or Lincoln City and potential promotion to the Championship.
Blackpool vs Oxford Predictions:
- Blackpool have won to nil in their last 5 matches (League One).
- Blackpool have seen BTTS No in their last 9 matches (League One).
- Blackpool’s Ellis Simms has scored 5 goals in his last 3 matches (League One).
- Blackpool have won to nil in their last 2 matches against Oxford (League One).
- Blackpool have won 3 of their last 5 matches against Oxford (League One).
- Oxford have failed to score in their last 3 matches against Blackpool (League One).
- Oxford have lost 4 of their last 6 away matches (League One).
- Only four of Oxford’s 22 wins this season came against top half teams.
This will be the 37th meeting between the sides and Blackpool have the much better record with 17 wins. Oxford United have 11 wins to their name, while the two sides shared the spoils on eight occasions.
Blackpool have a 17-11 advantage against Oxford in 36 meetings with eight draws.
Their most recent meeting came on Tuesday when Blackpool secured a convincing 3-0 victory.
Blackpool ended the regular season with a four-game winning streak and Tuesday’s win made it five victories on the bounce. Oxford United have won three of their last five games.
The visitors won once in their 16 clashes with League One’s top eight this season. They claimed 18 of their 22 victories this term against sides in the bottom half.
Oxford scored 24 goals during their final seven games of the regular season, a return which will ensure that Blackpool do not take them lightly at Bloomfield Road.
Blackpool’s overwhelming advantage puts them in the driving seat in this tie and Oxford United are likely to throw caution to the wind in their search for goals.
This could leave them exposed at the back and Blackpool have the ability to punish them. We are predicting a victory for the hosts.
Our prediction: Blackpool win @ 2.37