Barnsley are set to play host to Chelsea on Thursday at Oakwell for the 5th round of the FA Cup.
Chelsea will be looking to maintain their positive start to life under Thomas Tuchel when they take on Barnsley in the FA Cup last 16.
The Blues go into the match as the clear favourites, coming off the back of three wins and a draw since Tuchel took over from Frank Lampard, putting them back up to fifth in the Premier League.
Chelsea beat Sheffield United 2-1 on Monday night and have been comfortable in their FA Cup campaign with recent home wins over Morecambe and Luton Town.
Barnsley are unbeaten in three Championship matches but sit mid-table with 10 wins and 11 losses from 27 games.
- Chelsea have only conceded once in four games since Thomas Tuchel’s arrival.
- Victory would see Chelsea reach the FA Cup quarter-finals for the 15th time since 2000, more than any other side in that period.
- Barnsley have failed to score in four of their last seven matches.
- They have lost their past five FA Cup games against Premier League sides, conceding 15 goals and scoring two.
- Chelsea beat lower league opponents in each of their last two FA Cup games.
- Barnsley have won both of their FA Cup meetings with Chelsea, winning 4-0 in the third round in 1989 and 1-0 in the quarter-finals in 2008.
- Chelsea have won four of their last five games against Barsnley in all competitions, including a 6-0 home victory in the Carabao Cup earlier this season.
- The Blues have only lost two of their past 17 games in this competition.
- Barnsley have had 16 shots on target across their two FA Cup matches this season.
Barnsley advanced to the semi-finals in 2008 after beating Chelsea – then FA Cup holders – 1-0 at Oakwell.
The only other FA Cup meeting came in the third round in 1989, with the Tykes winning 4-0 at home courtesy of a Steve Agnew brace plus goals from Gwyn Thomas and David Currie.
In two head-to-head encounters between the two sides, Chelsea have won one and lost one.
This will be the two sides’ second meeting of the season, with Chelsea having won 6-0 in a League Cup tie in September. However, history is on Barnsley side’s, having beaten the Blues in this competition twice – 4-0 in 1989 and 1-0 in the 2008 quarter-finals.
Barnsley have been one of the better teams in the EFL Championship this season, but they have struggled recently. They are winless in their last five league games and manager Valerien Ismael will keen to ensure that they get back to winning ways soon.
Chelsea, on the other hand, have started a new era under the management of Thomas Tuchel. The German has had a strong start to his tenure at the club, nad has an extremely talented squad to work with.
Chelsea will be the favourites to win this game.
Our Prediction: Chelsea @ 1.26
Source: BetInAsia Black