High-flying Aston Villa will be looking to overtake Everton in top position in the standings when they host Leeds United at their Villa Park on Friday evening.
Aston Villa are the only team in the Premier League still with a 100 per cent record and they will be looking to continue that winning run at home to Leeds United on Friday night.
Aston Villa welcome Leeds United to Villa Park this weekend for the first Friday night game of the 2020-21 Premier League season, and the first top-flight showdown between the two clubs since February 2004.
This will be the first top-flight meeting between the sides since February 2004, when goals from Juan Pablo Angel and Ronny Johnsen gave Villa a 2-0 victory. A similar result on Friday would take Dean Smith’s side top of the table.
Villa are the only remaining team in the league with a 100% record, having made it four wins from four at Leicester City last time out, while Leeds have won two, drawn one and lost two on their return to the Premier League so far.
Villa have been very impressive in the league, beating Sheffield United, Fulham, Liverpool by an unforgettable 7-2 margin, and Leicester City. They are looking to win the opening five matches of a top-flight season for the first time in their 146-year history. Leeds are chasing a more modest but still significant feat – consecutive Premier League away wins for the first time since December 2002.
Aston Villa vs Leeds match stats:
- This is the first Premier League encounter between Aston Villa and Leeds United since February 2004.
- Leeds United’s last league visit to Villa Park saw the Whites come from two goals down to win 3-2 in December 2018.
- Aston Villa are looking to win each of their opening five league games in a season for the first time in their history.
- Aston Villa are unbeaten in their last eight Premier League games (W6 D2).
- Leeds are looking to pick up back-to-back Premier League away wins for the first time since December 2002.
- Aston Villa have seen under 2.5 goals in two of their three home games in all competitions.
- Under 2.5 goals have been scored in Leeds’ last three Premier League matches.
- Five of the last six meetings between the two sides have seen under 2.5 goals.
Villa have picked up 20 points in eight games – more than they had managed in their previous 26 Premier League outings.
This is the first match between Villa and Leeds since a 1-1 Championship draw at Elland Road in April 2019, when the hosts allowed Villa to equalise uncontested from kick-off after Mateusz Klich scored a contentious opening goal.
More recently the two clubs have met six times in the Championship, with Villa only enjoying one victory in that time, a 1-0 win in April 2018 at Villa park.
This is a fascinating contest between arguably the league’s most impressive side so far this season and one that has already proved that they can go toe to toe with the best the division has to offer.
Villa’s fairytale start to the season will not last forever, but they will head into this match brimming with confidence and we can see them edging a tight contest to secure their best ever start to a league campaign.
Our Prediction: Over 1.5 O/U (FT) @ 1.229