Arsenal vs. West Ham United – prediction & team news
Arsenal will look to continue the perfect start to their 2020/21 Premier League campaign when they welcome West Ham United to the Emirates on Saturday. Early leaders Arsenal will close the proceedings on Saturday, when they play hosts to West Ham United at the Emirates.
Arsenal and West Ham are two of the oldest Premier League clubs from London and the two sides have played a total of 142 fixtures against each other. Arsenal predictably have the historical upper hand and have won 68 games as opposed to West Ham’s 35 victories.
Reason for Arsenal vs. West Ham United predictions:
- Arsenal beat West Ham in 10 of the clubs’ last 11 meetings at the Emirates.
- Arsenal beat West Ham by two or more goals in five of their last eight games against them in North London.
- Arsenal are unbeaten in nine league games at home (seven wins, two draws), scoring 21 goals.
- West Ham failed to score in seven of their last 15 Premier League away assignments.
- West Ham United manager David Moyes has never won away to Arsenal as a manager in any competition, drawing four and losing 15 of his 19 matches.
- West Ham United are aiming to win their opening Premier League away match for the first time in five seasons. The last time they achieved that feat in 2015/16, it was at Arsenal.
Arsenal have one of the longest injury lists in the Premier League and will go into the new campaign without four key players.
West Ham have a fully-fit squad and will have to be at their best to stand a chance against the Gunners.
The Gunners eased to a 3-0 win over Fulham in their first top-flight fixture of the season, while West Ham were beaten 2-0 by Newcastle United in their home opener.
The Gunners have carried their momentum from the end of last season into 2020-21, which has begun with victory over Liverpool in the Community Shield and last week’s win at Fulham.
Indeed, taking home and away fixtures into account, the Hammers have lost more Premier League matches against Arsenal (31) than versus any other opponent.
Arsenal have experienced an extraordinary resurgence under Mikel Arteta over the past few months and have a distinct upper hand going into this fixture. West Ham are not an easy team to defeat and can make life difficult for the Gunners.
Arsenal have lost their first home game in five of the last nine Premier League campaigns, which includes a defeat against West Ham in 2015-16, but we cannot see past anything other than a routine home win this weekend.
Prediction: Arsenal 3-0 West Ham United