Arsenal vs. Liverpool – prediction
Champions Liverpool continue their quest for more Premier League history when they take on Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium on Wednesday night.
Arsenal are now running the risk of being overtaken by Burnley by the end of Matchday 36. That means it is essential for Mikel Arteta’s team to seal all three points as they still look to remain in the fight for a potential top-six finish.
Liverpool currently have 93 points on the board, leading second-placed Manchester City by 21 points. And with just three matches remaining the European champions will be hoping to reach the 100-point milestone while also ousting Man City’s 2017/18 record of winning the league by 19 points.
Jurgen Klopp’s side suffered a setback in their pursuit of top-flight immortality at the weekend, while the Gunners will be looking to bounce back from their North London derby defeat to Tottenham Hotspur.
Reason for Arsenal vs. Liverpool predictions:
- 49 goals have been scored in the last nine competitive meetings between these sides, averaging 5.44 goals per game.
- Over 2.5 goals has landed in eight of these matches, while both teams have scored in all but one as well.
- Liverpool have won their last five Premier League games in London, including all four this season.
- Arsenal have only lost one of their nine home games in all competitions in 2020.
- Arsenal have conceded 90 goals against Liverpool in the Premier League, a club record against a single opponent.
- Liverpool have gone winless in three of their six Premier League matches (D2, L1). The Reds had only failed to win two of their previous 38 games in the competition.
Arsenal have a torrid record in this fixture recently, failing to win any of the last 10 meetings across all competitions and nine in the Premier League stretching back to April 2015.
They are often entertaining affairs too, with the most recent showdown ending 5-5 in the EFL Cup in October – Liverpool winning on penalties – and the last nine meetings producing 49 goals at an average of more than 5.4 per game.
The reverse fixture in the Premier League saw Liverpool run out 3-1 winners in August, with Salah grabbing a brace.
The one thing seemingly guaranteed when these two sides face each other is goals – everything else is very up in the air heading into this one. Liverpool are stuttering in comparison to their form over the rest of the campaign, but know that only a win will do if they have a chance to surpassing Man City’s record points tally.
Arsenal, meanwhile, have been on a good run at home and know that they can ill-afford to drop any more points if they are to qualify for the Europa League via their league position next season.
Both sides are likely to be gunning for victory, then, and that should play into the hands of Liverpool more than Arsenal. The visiting front three look ideally suited to take advantage of Arsenal’s defensive issues, and we can see that being the difference between the two sides in an entertaining game.
Over 71.5 (Player Passes) @ 1.83