Aberdeen should comfortably avoid a Faroes curse as they get their latest Europa League qualifying campaign underway against NSI Runavik at Pittodrie.
They currently sit seventh in their league and have struggled at certain times but have kicked the gear up after their 1-0 opening loss to Rangers. They’ve since won both their matches against two challenging Livingston and St.Johnstone sides.
Runavik is relatively unknown to Scottish teams which will definitely provide a big problem for the management unless they put in the extra work to identify everything. Their league has taken a small pause since the 12th August before their 5-1 thrashing of Barry Town United.
The Dons are old hands at these qualifiers, falling at the third round in five of the last six seasons.
Just over a year after crashing out of the Europa League 3rd qualifying round at the hands of Rijeka, Aberdeen are back in Europe and are expected to fare much better when they face Faroe Islands underdogs NSI Runavik.
Reason for Aberdeen vs. NSI Runavik predictions:
- NSI Runavik have never made it past the Europa League 1st qualifying round.
- NSI have lost all 11 of their Europa League away games, failing to score in seven of them.
- Aberdeen have lost just one of their last 12 Europa League home games.
- Aberdeen have fallen out of the Europa League qualifiers at the third round in five of the last six seasons.
- Four of the Dons’ last five contests at Pittodrie have seen over 2.5 goals by the final whistle.
- The last time NSI faced off against Scottish opposition, they were hit with a 6-1 drumming against Hibernian.
Away from home NSI Runavik have lost all 11 of their Europa League games, conceding 37 goals and failing to score on seven occasions.
NSI have conceded exactly two goals in three of their last six Europa League away games and in four of their last nine home and away.
Aberdeen should be confident of making a real statement as they begin their European adventure on Thursday night. Landing back-to-back Premiership victories, including that 2-1 win against Livingston on Sunday, there is no doubt that the Dons should have far too much for their Faroese guests. So a 2-0 correct score prediction is a good option.
Prediction: Aberdeen – Aberdeen (Half Time Full Time) @ 1.67