Chelsea begin the first of their three away games in a row with a litmus test against former manager Jose Mourinho’s Tottenham Hotspur.
The game takes place this Thursday at the Tottenham Hotspur stadium.
The two powerhouses have been in the title conversation during the 2020-21 campaign, but both Spurs and Chelsea are now seemingly focused on their top four prospects rather than an audacious bid for Premier League glory.
Chelsea are unbeaten in their last four Premier League encounters with fierce rivals Spurs.
The fact that Spurs have failed to score in three of the last four league outings against them stacks the odds in the Blues’ favor.
Hardly anything can separate the teams in the table ahead of this London derby, with seventh-placed Spurs – who have a game in hand – and eighth-placed Chelsea both boasting 33 points.
As is the case with Tottenham, Chelsea have already secured nine wins and played out six draws in the 2020-21 Premier League campaign, but an added defeat as well as an inferior goal difference means that they sit behind their London rivals ahead of this game and the chasing pack are not too far behind either.
Reason for Tottenham Hotspur vs Chelsea predictions:
- Chelsea are unbeaten in four previous Premier League meetings with Spurs.
- Tottenham have won only three of their last 11 Premier League fixtures.
- Tottenham have won only one of their last four Premier League home games.
- Spurs scored one or fewer goals in three of their last four league matches.
- Spurs could lose three consecutive top-flight fixtures for the first time since November 2012.
- The Blues have lost four of their past five games on the road in the competition, as many defeats as in their previous 16.
- Chelsea have conceded 50 Premier League away goals since the start of last season, a tally exceeded only by Newcastle United.
Thursday’s encounter represents the 169th meeting between the two clubs in all competitions, with Chelsea boasting 72 wins compared to Tottenham’s 55.
November’s goalless draw ended Chelsea’s three-game winning run in the Premier League against Spurs, who have now failed to score in three of their last four top-flight meetings with the Blues.
Chelsea have the upper hand over their old foes, with 72 wins compared to 55 for Spurs. In total, 45 games have ended as draws between them.
Chelsea are unbeaten in the past four Premier League meetings, keeping a clean sheet in three of them (W3, D1).
Spurs could lose back-to-back home league matches against Chelsea for the first time since a run of three defeats between 2004 and 2005, when current Tottenham boss Jose Mourinho was in charge of the Blues.
It is difficult to see where the goals might come from for Tottenham while Kane works his way back to full fitness and coming up against a reinvigorated Chelsea outfit yet to concede under Tuchel will not fill the Spurs faithful with any sort of optimism.
The Blues undoubtedly still have a few issues to iron out, but the early signs are positive for Tuchel and his team boast a strong recent record in this fixture, so we are predicting a narrow win for Chelsea to inflict more misery on Mourinho and Spurs.
Our Prediction: Chelsea @ 2.08
Source: BetInAsia Black