The Netherlands vs Austria: prediction, preview, team news / UEFA Euro 2020
The Netherlands are set to play Austria at the Johan Cruyff Arena on Thursday in the group stage of the UEFA Euro 2020.
Netherlands started Euro 2020 with an exciting 3-2 win against Ukraine.
West Ham United forward Andriy Yarmolenko and Gent striker Roman Yaremchuk scored the consolation goals for Ukraine.
Netherlands have won four of their last five matches in all competitions.
Austria, on the other hand, beat Igor Angelovski’s North Macedonia 3-1 on Sunday.
Austria had a poor preparation for Euro 2020. They won one of their previous six matches and failed to score in their previous three.
Austria put that behind them to start with a 3-1 win against North Macedonia in Group C.
Netherlands vs Austria Predictions:
- Netherlands have scored 2+ goals in their last 8 matches (all competitions).
- The Netherlands have won their last 21 games when scoring first. They have recorded 66 goals.
- Netherlands have seen BTTS in 7 of their last 10 matches (all competitions).
- Netherlands have seen over 3.5 goals in 3 of their last 4 matches (all competitions).
- Netherlands have scored 3+ goals in 5 of their last 6 matches against Austria (all competitions).
- Netherlands have seen over 3.5 goals in 3 of their last 4 matches against Austria (all competitions).
- Austria have seen BTTS in their last 2 matches (UEFA European Championship).
- Austria have seen BTTS in 5 of their last 8 matches (all competitions).
- Austria have seen over 3.5 goals in 4 of their last 6 matches (all competitions).
In 18 head-to-head encounters between the two sides, the Netherlands hold a slight advantage. They have won eight games, lost six and drawn four.
Netherlands have a 10-6 advantage against Austria with 4 draws in 20 matches.
The two countries last faced each other in 2016, with the Netherlands beating Austria 2-0. Goals from striker Vincent Janssen and midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum secured the win for the Netherlands.
Austria last won consecutive major tournament games in their opening two fixtures at the 1982 World Cup.
The Netherlands have won their last six matches against Austria and Austria’s last victory came in May 1990 – a pre-World Cup friendly in Vienna.
Their only previous encounter at a major tournament was in the second group phase of the 1978 World Cup. The Netherlands won 5-1 on their way to that year’s final.
The Netherlands looked good against Ukraine despite conceding two surprising goals.
Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong and Lyon forward Memphis Depay were dominant players for the Dutch, while Ajax’s Daley Blind continues to be one of the most underrated footballers in the world.
Austria, on the other hand, will rely on David Alaba’s performances.
A close game is on the cards, but the Netherlands should win here.
Our prediction: Netherlands win @ 1.62