All eyes will be on Home Park when Plymouth and Portsmouth square off against each other in the League One derby. The Pilgrims have been in a splendid form of late, with the team beating Doncaster and Swindon in the League One, while eliminating Charlton in the FA Cup.
The Pompey are still seen as one of the main favourites to secure automatic promotion to the Championship, and seeing that they recorded four wins in the previous five league fixtures, away victory should be considered.
Plymouth have enjoyed a five-match unbeaten run in all competitions.
Portsmouth narrowly went down 1-0 to West Ham U21’s in the EFL Trophy in their last match in midweek.
In the league, Portsmouth have won six of their last eight matches. Their most recent win came against Lincoln City, who they defeated 3-1 to sit in seventh place.
Reason for Plymouth vs Portsmouth Predictions:
- Plymouth’s last four home matches averaged 3.5 goals per game.
- Both teams scored in three of Plymouth’s last four home games and in three of Portsmouth’s last four away assignments.
- Plymouth are undefeated in their last 5 matches (all competitions).
- Plymouth are unbeaten in their last 7 home matches (all competitions).
- Plymouth have not beaten Portsmouth in their last 6 meetings (League One and League Two).
- These two sides have drawn in 4 of their last 6 previous meetings (League One and Two).
- Portsmouth are unbeaten in 9 of their last 10 away matches (all competitions).
- Portsmouth have not drawn their last 3 away matches at Plymouth (League One and Two).
These two sides have met 67 times. Plymouth have won 25 of these meetings, while Portsmouth have come out victorious in 28. They have played 14 draws.
Their last meeting back in February 2019 ended in a 1-1 draw.
Five of the last 7 meetings registered under 2.5 goals, however both teams scored in 3 of them.
As we mentioned at the start, both teams picked up form after a slow start to the season and they are looking good on the attacking front.
Plymouth are unbeaten at home this season with the latest 4 wins netted 10 goals. Meanwhile Portsmouth are lethal on the road and unbeaten this season scoring 12 goals in their latest four.
This is the main reason for us to recommend goals in this fixture, also taking note of the fact that the hosts have seen btts in 4 of their 5 home games this season.
Monday’s game between confident Plymouth and Portsmouth teams has all the makings of a proper slugfest, and the over 2.5 goals and both teams to score combination is favoured as a result.
Our Prediction: Over 2.5 goals @ 1.75