Liverpool bring an unforgettable and historic 2020 to a close at St James’ Park on Wednesday night as the champions take on Newcastle United.
Liverpool can move six points clear at the top of the Premier League with a win over Newcastle United and other results going their way.
Liverpool travel to St. James’ Park on Wednesday night for a Premier League clash against Newcastle United.
The Reds will be looking to recover from a disappointing 1-1 draw against West Bromwich Albion at Anfield on Sunday.
Jurgen Klopp’s side missed the chance to put a bigger gap between themselves and the chasing pack, after an insipid performance against Sam Allardyce’s side.
Their away form in the league has not been great either, but they snapped a six-game winless league run on the road with an emphatic 7-0 win over Crystal Palace last Saturday.
Newcastle are 14th, with 18 points from 14 games this season. They went to the Etihad Stadium on Boxing Day and got beaten 2-0 by Manchester City.
- Liverpool have won each of their last five league meetings with Newcastle.
- They have won only four of their last 13 Premier League away fixtures, drawing five and losing four.
- Liverpool have lost four Premier League fixtures in 2020, the same amount as in 2018 and 2019 combined.
- The Reds have conceded 20 Premier League goals in 15 matches. It took them 28 games to let in 20 goals in 2019-20.
- Liverpool have kept just one clean sheet in their last six away league assignments.
- Liverpool have scored exactly three times in each of their last three encounters with the Magpies.
- Liverpool can top the Premier League table at the turn of the year for the third consecutive season.
- Newcastle are without a win in four games in all competitions.
- Newcastle are without a clean sheet in 11 Premier League home games, conceding 22 goals since their 3-0 win against Sheffield United in June.
- The Magpies have won only three of their seven home league matches, drawing one and losing three.
- They have won just two of their final fixtures of a calendar year in 17 attempts – against Everton in 2014 and in a Championship match versus Nottingham Forest in 2016.
Liverpool have won 87 out of 179 previous meetings against Newcastle United. The Reds have lost 50 of those game against the Magpies.
Last season, both Premier League games between Liverpool and Newcastle United finished 3-1 in favor of the Reds.
Newcastle United could lose six consecutive top-flight games against Liverpool for the first time. It would also be the first time Liverpool have won three top-flight matches in a row at St James’ Park.
Newcastle have lost a club record 77 top-flight fixtures against Liverpool.
Liverpool are usually good at responding to disappointing results, although usually that comes at home after dropping points away from home whereas this is the other way around.
Liverpool need to deliver a strong reaction after their disappointing draw against West Brom, but the absence of Matip could test them in this game.
We can see Newcastle scoring given Liverpool’s deepening defensive injury crisis, but with the league’s top scorer in Mohamed Salah and both Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino beginning to find form again, the visitors should have enough to return to winning ways, even if one of that trio is rested.
We predict a narrow win for the Premier League leaders in this encounter.
Our Prediction: Liverpool to win @ 1.33
Source: BetInAsia Black