Luxembourg will welcome Portugal to the Stade Josy Barthel on Tuesday for a matchday three fixture in the UEFA section of the 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifiers.
Buoyed by a hard-fought 1-0 win over Republic of Ireland, Luxembourg will be looking to give fans yet another reason for celebration when they take on Portugal in their second group game.
While the hosts kicked off the road to Qatar in perfect fashion last time out, Portugal dropped two points in a highly controversial 2-2 draw with Serbia on Saturday night.
That stalemate saw both sides move joint-top of Group A, while Luxembourg are just behind in third-place.
Luxembourg vs Portugal predictions:
- Luxembourg are in fourth place with four points.
- They have failed to win in their last five matches, while they have lost three of those.
- Luxembourg score 2 goals in the last 5 games.
- Portugal scored 17 times in their last four home clashes.
- The European champions have won their last eight meetings with Luxembourg, while they are unbeaten across their last 18 matches in European Championship clashes.
- Portugal score 13 goals in the last 5 games.
- Portugal have scored 12 goals past Luxembourg in the last 4 meetings.
- In the last 10 years the nations have met six times and Portugal have won every game.
The two sides have met on 17 occasions in the past. It is not a surprise that Portugal have the overwhelming advantage with 15 wins and one draw to their name.
Luxembourg’s sole victory came in a qualifier for the 1962 World Cup which they won 4-2 in October 1961.
The teams last met here for the Euro qualifiers in 2019 and Portugal won 2-0.
Luxembourg’s victory over Ireland halted a run of four games without a win. Portugal have lost just one of their last 12 international games, with eight games in this sequence ending in a victory.
Portugal have come up trumps in their last 10 meetings with Luxembourg – scoring 34 goals and conceding just one in that time – and the hosts’ only win in this fixture came during qualification for the 1962 World Cup as they triumphed 4-2 in October 1961.
Luxembourg were impressive in their victory against an out-of-sorts Ireland but they will be swimming with bigger fish when Portugal come visiting.
Portugal have flattered to deceive somewhat during their opening two matches, but Ronaldo and co will be more determined than ever to respond to their latest setback this week.
The European champions will be keen to right the wrongs suffered against Serbia with a victory against Luxembourg. The hosts command plenty of respect after overcoming the Irish on their own turf.
We are predicting a victory for the visitors.
Our Prediction: Portugal to win @ 1.50