Leeds United vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers – prediction & team news
Leeds United are set to host Wolverhampton Wanderers at Elland Road on Monday in their next English Premier League fixture.
The Whites are currently eighth in the table with seven points to show from their four matches, while Wolves occupy 13th, having picked up six points from their four fixtures this term.
Leeds United come into this game on the back of a 1-1 draw against Manchester City two weeks ago. Wolverhampton Wanderers, on the other hand, beat Fulham 1-0 just before the international break.
This is the first meeting since the 2017-18 season, when Wolves won twice against Leeds – 4-1 at home and 3-0 away – on their way to the title.
- Wolves could win four consecutive league meetings for the first time since a run of five between February 1958 and April 1960.
- Patrick Bamford has been involved in four goals in his four league starts against Wolves, scoring three and setting up one.
- Wolves have lost three of their last five league away games, as many as they had in their previous 16.
- Wolves have lost just one of their past 10 Premier League games against promoted sides, winning seven and drawing two.
- Leeds United had faced a Premier League-high 73 shots after the first four rounds of fixtures.
- This is only the third Premier League encounter – the home side have won both previous games.
- Leeds have lost just twice in 18 league games, winning 14 and drawing two.
- They are unbeaten in their last three Premier League matches, earning seven points.
- Wolves have won just two of their nine Premier League games played on a Monday, drawing two and losing five.
In 12 previous encounters between the two sides, Wolverhampton Wanderers hold the clear advantage. They have won seven games, lost four and drawn one.
The two clubs last met each other way back in 2018, in the Championship. Wolverhampton Wanderers emerged victorious in that fixture, beating Leeds United 3-0.
Leeds have impressed so far since their Premier League promotion. Their defence still looks a little porous, and Raul Jimenez should be relishing the opportunity to get at it.
Wolves have been inconsistent by contrast with their heavy defeats to West Ham and Manchester City highlighting their own issues this season.
They know what the newly-promoted bounce can do and Leeds are looking to replicate what Wolves have achieved since getting back in the top flight.
And it is Leeds who look like favourites to win this game as a result of their better form at the start of the season.
A close match is expected, with Wolves’ pragmatic style of play in complete contrast to Leeds United’s gung-ho attack. Leeds United might just edge past Wolves in this game.
Prediction: Leeds United 2-1 Wolverhampton Wanderers