France will face Switzerland in the round of 16 at Euro 2020 on Monday, and it promises to be a tactical game between the two strong sides.
Switzerland will aim to produce a shock of seismic proportions during their Euro 2020, as they gear up to meet reigning world champions France at the National Arena in Bucharest.
France and Switzerland played out a drab goalless stalemate at Euro 2016 – two years after Les Bleus ran out 5-2 winners at the 2014 World Cup – and Switzerland are without victory in this fixture since a 1992 friendly.
France are undefeated in their last 10 matches. They won four straight games heading into the European Championship.
Les Bleus opened their Euro 2020 campaign with a 1-0 win against Germany, going ahead through an own goal.
Switzerland are undefeated in nine of their last 10 matches and have won seven of their last nine games.
Vladimir Petković’s side drew 1-1 against Wales in their opening match at Euro 2020. They dominated the game with 64% possession and 18-9 shots.
Switzerland had to rely on a 3-1 win over Turkey to make it to the knockout stages of Euro 2020, and will hope to upset tournament favorites and current world champions France.
France vs Switzerland Predictions:
- France are undefeated in their last 10 matches (all competitions).
- France have drawn 3 of their last 4 matches (European Championship).
- France have drawn 4 of their last 5 matches against Switzerland (all competitions).
- France have scored at least two goals in three of their last five matches.
- Switzerland have seen under 2.5 goals in their last 4 matches against France (all competitions).
- Switzerland are undefeated in 9 of their last 10 matches (all competitions).
- Switzerland have drawn 4 of their last 6 matches (European Championship).
- Switzerland lost 3-0 to Italy and conceded in all three of their group games.
- Karim Benzema scored 30 goals for Real Madrid last season and reopened his account with France on Wednesday.
The international record between the two sides isn’t as one-sided as many would presume.
While France do have a better record, they have won this fixture just four more times than Switzerland.
France have a 16-12 advantage against Switzerland with 10 draws in 38 matches.
France have won this fixture 16 times, while Switzerland have won it on 12 occasions. Ten games have ended as draws.
The last time Switzerland beat France was way back in 1992, so a Swiss win would be the upset of the tournament.
World Cup holders France began Euro 2020 as clear favourites to lift the trophy and, while they only won one of their three group games, there has been little to suggest Didier Deschamps side aren’t capable of adding to their Jules Rimet trophy.
France haven’t been at their best at Euro 2020 so far, but a fixture against Switzerland is perhaps exactly what they need.
Deschamps will hope his side put in a convincing display against the Swiss and hit the right notes before facing the stronger teams.
Our prediction: France win @ 1.62