Brighton and Hove Albion vs Liverpool: prediction, preview & team news
Liverpool will look to extend their impressive winning record against Brighton & Hove Albion when they head to the Amex Stadium for Saturday’s early kick-off in the Premier League.
The champions can go top of the table with a victory on the south coast and Jurgen Klopp will be demanding a response after the midweek home defeat by Atalanta in the Champions League.
Last week in the Premier League, Liverpool went level on points with Tottenham Hotspur at the top with a convincing 3-0 dismantling of Leicester City.
Brighton, meanwhile, picked up just their second win of the campaign against Aston Villa last time out and will be looking to build on that triumph.
Victory over the Reds themselves would give them back-to-back league wins for the first time since November 2019 and could even lift them above Manchester City in the table for a few hours at least.
Reason for Brighton & Hove Albion vs Liverpool predictions:
- Liverpool have beaten Brighton in each of the clubs’ last six league meetings.
- Liverpool have kept only one clean sheet in their last five Premier League outings.
- Brighton have scored in all but one of their nine league fixtures this term.
- Mohamed Salah notched three goals combined in his last two trips to the AMEX Stadium.
- Albion earned a first Premier League victory in seven attempts last weekend and are vying to win consecutive league games for the first time in more than a year.
- The Seagulls have never beaten the reigning top-flight champions, drawing twice and losing 12 times.
- Liverpool could go four consecutive Premier League away games without a win for the first time since a run of five between January and March 2017.
- The Reds are the only team to have scored in all of their Premier League fixtures this season.
- Liverpool could keep successive Premier League clean sheets for the first time since June.
Liverpool have won 19 of 31 previous games against Brighton, losing only four against this weekend’s opponents.
In last season’s clashes, a Virgil van Dijk brace gave Liverpool a 2-1 win at Anfield, while Mohamed Salah scored twice in a 3-1 win at the Amex.
The Seagulls are winless in 11 competitive fixtures versus Liverpool since a 2-0 home victory in the FA Cup fourth round in January 1984. The Seagulls have picked up only two points from a possible 42 in previous games against reigning top-flight champions, although both of those points did come against Liverpool – in 1981 and 1983.
Brighton have never won a top-flight home game against Liverpool, drawing three and losing four.
Brighton are not a side that have defended very well this season, even though they have challenged the bigger teams in some games.
Despite their convincing win over Leicester last weekend, Liverpool have a few questions to answer here regarding their away form and whether the midweek defeat to Atalanta was just a blip or the first sign of their injury crisis taking its toll.
Our Prediction: Liverpool 2-1 @ 8/1