Atletico Madrid vs Chelsea – Back a draw in the Champions League
Chelsea will take on Atletico Madrid in the first leg of their last-16 Champions League clash on Tuesday night, with the fixture being held in Romania due to coronavirus protocols over travel.
The two European giants are tactically robust and will likely play out an intriguing fixture this week.
Atletico remain in charge of the La Liga title race, sitting three points clear of second-placed Real Madrid at the summit with a game in hand. They won 15 of 16 league matches but have won once in the last four.
The Madrid giants were not at their best in the group stages of this season’s Champions League, winning just two of their six Group A fixtures, but a total of nine points was enough to see them advance to this stage.
Chelsea are unbeaten in seven matches since Thomas Tuchel took over in January. Following a 0-0 draw against Wolves, the Blues won five straight in all competitions.
The Blues were held to a 1-1 draw by Southampton over the weekend and have plenty of work to do in the final third this season.
Atletico Madrid vs Chelsea predictions:
- Atletico Madrid are undefeated in 7 of their last 8 matches (all competitions).
- Atletico Madrid have failed to keep a clean sheet in 9 of their last 10 matches (all competitions).
- Atletico Madrid have drawn 3 of their last 4 matches (UEFA Champions League).
- Atletico Madrid have drawn 3 of their last 6 matches against Chelsea (UEFA Champions League).
- Chelsea are undefeated in 10 of their last 11 matches (all competitions).
- Chelsea have won 5 of their last 6 matches.
- In the last five meetings between the two teams, Atletico Madrid have registered two victories while Chelsea picked up just one win, in September 2017.
Atletico Madrid and Chelsea have two wins each with three draws in seven matches.
They last met in the 2017/18 Champions League group stage, Chelsea winning 2-1 in Madrid before a 1-1 draw in London.
The overall head-to-head between Atletico and Chelsea in European competition is perfectly balanced, with two wins each, three draws and 11 goals each.
Atletico have reached the knockout stages of the Champions League for the seventh time in the last eight seasons. Meanwhile, Chelsea will attempt to progress past the round of 16 for the first time since the 2013/14 campaign.
Both teams had their chances on the day and will need to be clinical on Tuesday.
Atletico Madrid have been impressive under Diego Simeone this season and will have to arrest their recent slump to overcome a strong opponent this week. The Spanish giants rely on counter-attacks as their bread and butter but will find Thomas Tuchel’s formations difficult to breach.
Chelsea have made massive tactical strides in recent weeks but will need to create more in the final third to trouble Atletico Madrid this week. Both teams are on a fairly even footing at the moment and are likely to share the spoils in this fixture.
Now that both teams have a fair chance in the game, we can expect a draw on Tuesday.
Our Prediction: Draw @ 3.05
Source: BetInAsia Black