Manchester United vs Manchester City betting tips: prediction & team news
The first Manchester derby of the season takes place at Old Trafford on Saturday and all the scrutiny appears to be on United, even though they sit above City in the Premier League table.
Manchester United and Manchester City lock horns for the 183rd time on Saturday, with just one point and one place separating the near-neighbours in the Premier League table.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side will head into the weekend in sixth position, a point and a place above their rivals, but the pressure is once again on them after the midweek defeat by RB Leipzig eliminated them at the group stage of the Champions League.
City enjoyed a routine 3-0 victory over Marseille on Wednesday, as they topped their own Champions League group, and Pep Guardiola’s side are seemingly starting to find the consistency that they were lacking in the opening weeks of the campaign.
The Citizens endured a tough start to the season, winning just three of their opening eight league games, but they have enjoyed back-to-back top-flight successes over Burnley and Fulham and are now unbeaten in five across all competitions.
United have scored in each of their last eight matches, although they have only won one of their previous seven home games in the Premier League.
Reason for Manchester United vs Manchester City predictions:
- Both teams have scored in each of Manchester United’s last five competitive games.
- Manchester City have conceded in four of their five Premier League away games.
- Manchester City have played out three 1-1 draws in their last eight top flight matches.
- Marcus Rashford has scored in three of his last five appearances in all competitions.
- Manchester United won both Premier League meetings with Manchester City last season – they last won three in a row in the competition against their local rivals between November 2008-April 2010.
- Manchester City have won seven Premier League away games at Old Trafford.
- Just 21% of Manchester United’s Premier League points this season have been won in home games (4/19).
- Manchester United have won a league-high 15 points from losing positions this season (all away from home).
- Manchester City have lost five Premier League away games in 2020, last losing more in a single calendar year in the competition back in 2015 (7).
These two sides met four times last season, and it was United who emerged with the derby bragging rights having won three of those – including both league games.
The Red Devils have not won three successive league editions of the derby for more than a decade now, while they could also lose three in a row across all competitions for the first time since 2009.
Manchester City have won more Premier League away games at Old Trafford than any other visiting side, though, with six of their seven such victories coming in the last nine seasons.
There have been 150 top-flight Manchester derbies – United have won 58 and City 45, with 47 draws.
Only Spurs have beaten Man City in their last 15 games across all competitions, while their victory over Fulham last weekend secured back-to-back Premier League wins for the very first time this season.
Indeed, whereas Man United are six points better off than they were after 10 games of last season, Man City are four points worse off.
Solskjaer has managed to ease growing pressure on his shoulders in the past with timely victories in matches exactly like this one, and United’s record in the derby last season commands Man City’s respect too.
However, it is impossible to look past Man United’s home form this season and while Man City’s away record is not exactly outstanding either, Guardiola’s men do seem to be finding a level of consistency they had previously been lacking.
Our Prediction: Manchester City @ 1.76
Source: BetInAsia Black